Expanding China will be the biggest problem for the international society in the 21st century. Sinocentrism, an ancient imperialism deeply rooted in China's history, seems now trying to swallow everything under the name of China. Sinocentrism has made Chinese people say, Taiwan is a part of China, Tibet is a part of China, East Turkestan is a part of China, Manchuria is a part of China, Mongolia is a part of China, Goguryeo is a part of China, the Spratly & Parcel islands are a part of China, the Senkaku islands are a part of China. It will also make them say, Okinawa is a part of China, North Korea is a part of China, South Korea is a part of China, Japan is a part of China, the whole Asia is a part of China, the whole Earth is a part of China. However, they must just realize that CHINA IS A MERE PART OF THE WORLD. Tibet must be Tibet. East Turkestan must be East Turkestan. Mongolia must be Mongolia. Manchuria must be Manchuria. Taiwan must be Taiwan. Each people must be allowed to decide their own future and what kind of tradition they will hand over to their children by their own. Sinocentrism is now blocking this basic human right. Democracy cannot coexist with Sinocentrism. The riverse is also true. Sinocentrism cannot coexist with Democracy. Either side must win and defeat the other. Which side will win? Sinocentrism or Democracy? Which side must win? Of course the latter.
5 Reasons Why the Senkaku Islands are not Chinese Territory
1. International Law
"Island of Palmas Case" (1928), one of the most highly influential precedents dealing with island territorial conflicts say as follows,
1) Firstly, title based on contiguity has no standing in international law.
2) Secondly, title by discovery is only an inchoate title.
3) Finally, if another sovereign begins to exercise continuous and actual sovereignty, (and the arbitrator required that the claim had to be open and public and with good title), and the discoverer does not contest this claim, the claim by the sovereign that exercises authority is greater than a title based on mere discovery.
The Senkaku Islands were incorporated into Japan in 1895 by "prior occupation of terra nullius," but both PRC (People's Republic of China) and ROC (Republic of China) had never protested against Japan's claim over the Senkaku Islands until 1971 for 76 years. Instead they had recognized the Islands as Japanese territory explicitly in their documents, newspapers, textbooks and maps. International law gives them the qualification to claim the Islands any longer.
2. The Senkaku islands were discovered first not by Chinese but by Ryukyuans (Okinawan people).
It was only 23 times that Chinese investiture Missions sailed to the Ryukyu Kingdom (Okinawa) in 507 years, while Ryukyuan Tributary Missions sailed to China over 580 times in the same period via the Senkaku Islands.
3. There is no historical fact that China has exercised any "effective control" on the Senkaku Islands.
China has claimed that the Senkaku islands had been Chinese territory "since the Ming Dynasty." However, during the Ming Dynasty, even Taiwan was not a part of China. Taiwan was incorporated into Qing in 1683 for the first time. And all Chinese official documents written during the Qing Dynasty regarding Taiwan say the north end of Taiwan was the present Hoping island never Keelung. There is no historical fact that the Senkaku Islands were incorporated into China ever.
4. The Japanese old map China quote often never admitted that the Senkaku islands were Chinese territory.
China often quotes the Japanese old map, 「琉球三省並三十六島之図」(1786) by 林子平(Hayashi Shinei) to argue that the Senkaku Islands were colored in the same color as mainland China, so Japanese at that time recognized that the Senkaku islands were Chinese territory. However, in the same map, Taiwan was colored with the different color from the mainland China despite the fact that Taiwan was already incorporated in to Qing when the map was published in Japan. And Hayashi Shihei was not a Japanese governmental official, but a mere private citizen who was even arrested and punished by the Tokugawa Shogunate. We can not think Japan's official view was reflected in his map anyway.
5. There is no historical fact that Senkaku Islands had ever belonged to China, so China cannot say that they were stolen from China. So the Cairo Declaration has nothing to do with the Senkaku Islands.
China has invaded and absorbed Tibet, East Turkestan, Inner Mongolia, and Manchuria. China is going to swallow the Senkaku Islands, Okinawa and Taiwan this time. The reestablishment of full-fledged Chinese Empire is their ultimate objective.
Japanese Version/ 日本語版
Chinese Version/ 中国語版