Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Oct 28, 2014
Andrew S. Dolkart, Professor of Historic Preservation at Columbia University's Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, presents a colorful history of Neue Galerie New York's home at 1048 Fifth Avenue.
From its origin as one of Manhattan's finest private residences, to a museum for early twentieth century fine and decorative art from Germany and Austria, Professor Dolkart offers a candid account of the building, neighborhood, and the eccentric families who once occupied 1048 Fifth Avenue.
The building housing Neue Galerie New York is located at 1048 Fifth Avenue, at 86th Street, in an area known as Museum Mile. The building was completed in 1914 by Carrère & Hastings, also architects of the New York Public Library. It has been designated a landmark by the New York Landmarks Commission and is generally considered to be one of the most distinguished buildings ever erected on Fifth Avenue. Commissioned by industrialist William Starr Miller, it was later occupied by society doyenne Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt III and subsequently by the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research. It was purchased by Ronald S. Lauder and Serge Sabarsky in 1994.
Annabelle Selldorf is the architect for the renovation of the building. Her work for Neue Galerie New York has involved restoring 1048 Fifth Avenue to its original state, while adapting it to the most stringent museum standards with regard to the display and preservation of works of art.
The building book, "1048 Fifth Avenue: From Mansion to Museum" by author Andrew S. Dolkart, can be purchased in-store or online at shop.neuegalerie.org.