In Sanskrit, Panchagavya means the blend of five products obtained from cow.
(All these five products are individually called 'Gavya' and collectively termed as 'Panchagavya'). It contains ghee, milk, curd, cow dung and cow's urine.
Panchagav...ya had reverence in the scripts of Vedas (divine scripts of Indian wisdom) and Vrikshayurveda (Vrksha means plants and ayurveda means health system).
The texts on Vrikshayurveda are systematizations of the practices the farmers followed at field level, placed in a theoretical framework and it defined certain plant growth stimulants; among them Panchagavya was an important one that enhanced the biological efficiency of crop plants and the quality of fruits and vegetables.
For making approx. 20 litres of panchagavya you need the following:
* Fresh cow dung - 5kg
* Fresh cow's urine -- 3 litres
* Cow's milk -- 2 litres
* Cow's curd -- 2 litres
* Cow's ghee -- 500 gms
* Jaggery -- 500 gms
* Water or sugarcane juice - 3 litres
* Ripe banana fruit - 1 bunch (12 nos.)
* Tender coconut water -- 3 litres
Method of preparation:
* Take 5 kgs of fresh cow dung and mix it thoroughly with 500 gms of cow's ghee and keep it in a plastic drum or a mud pot. It should not be kept in a metal container because it will corrode and react with the metal. Keep the ghee and the cow dung mixture for 4 days, mixing it twice a day.
* On the 5th day add cow's urine, cow's milk (cow's milk can be boiled, cooled and then added) and cow's curd, then jaggery with water or sugarcane juice and banana fruit (which has to be mashed and mixed thoroughly.) Then tender coconut water has to be added.
* Wait for another 15 days, stirring twice daily. Stirring the contents for about 20 minutes each time facilitates aerobic microbial activity.
* On the 19th day the panchagavya solution will be ready. This solution must be kept under a net, i.e. it must be covered with a muslin or fine cloth so that the common fly cannot sit on it and lay eggs. For use after 19th day, stir the mixture at least once a day to aerate it.
200ml of this solution can be diluted with 10 litres of water with proper stirring for spraying on plants. For soil application, dilute 1000ml in 10litres of water.
Periodicity of use
Once in 15 days, it can be used for all crops. In winter crops, 1.5-2% usage is sufficient but for all other crops 3% should be used.
This Video can be downloaded and used in any form.