Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Apr 19, 2012
http://www.fortpointpier.com April 12, 2012. The arrival the Tea Party ship Beaver into Boston's Fort Point Channel from Gloucester. The yellow brig, a replica of the original Beaver at Griffin's Wharf in 1773, was built from a 1908 Danish cargo ship.
The Beaver is one of three brigs to arrive for berthing at the newly rebuilt Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum (opening June 25, 2012). The Eleanor is the next of the three scheduled to arrive at the site, and the third, the Dartmouth — being built from scratch at Gloucester Marine Railways, is expected to arrive in 2014.
A terrific article about Gloucester shipwright Leon Poindexter and the three masterfully crafted Tea Party ship replicas can be found here: http://bit.ly/L3NGUC
The Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum is within a few hundred yards (in view) of the original location of Griffin's Wharf on Boston Harbor, where the actual Boston Tea Party occured on December 16, 1773. The actual site of Griffin's Wharf is now inland on filled tidelands, between Atlantic Wharf (formerly known as Russia Wharf) and the Intercontinental Hotel. Our own recent identification and photographic documentation of the location of Griffin's Wharf was made possible by research of John Robertson at http://www.his.jrshelby.com/btp/.
Also captured in this video is a live opening of the historic Old Northern Avenue Bridge, a magnificent iron swing bridge, still operable, built in 1908.