This dish was made for one of my very early Youtubers called the white witch. Her channel is whitewitchwares and she is a college student that has been watching my videos and really enjoying them. She has been chiding my for months and to when I was going to make her dinner because she wanted a real meal. I can dig that because as a college student I know that her diet is not the best! I have been there. So this dish of Salmon With A Dijon Mustard Dill Cream Sauce is for the white witch!
A nice salmon fillet 1 Lb. minimum skin on or skin off.
2 Tbsp. Butter.(For cooking the salmon and making the side dish of onions and tomatoes.
5 Tbsp. Olive oil.(For cooking the salmon, rice pilaf and onions and tomatoes.)
1 Cup sour cream.
1/3 Cup of fresh chopped dill weed or equivalent amount dry dill weed.
2-3 Tbsp. fine chopped brown or white onion depending on taste.
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard either coarse ground or smooth.
10 Pearl onions.
10 Grape tomatoes or 8 cherry tomatoes.
1 Cup white rice.
2 Cups chicken stock.
1/2 White or brown onion finely chopped.
Salt and black pepper to taste.
Method For Sauce:
In a bowl:
1. Take cup of sour cream
2. Add 2-3 Tbsp. finely chopped onion.
3. Add 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard either coarse or smooth.
4. Add 1/3 Cup fresh or dried dill weed.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Now whisk all these ingredients together really well and then put a cover on the bowl and sit this sauce mixture aside for minimum of one hour. You want this sauce to be used at room temperature. Now it is time to move on to making the rice pilaf.
Method For Rice Pilaf:
1. In a large sauce pan pour 1-2 Tbsp. Olive oil and heat it up.
2. Take your half of finely diced white or brown onion and sweat it in the oil.
3. Add your rice and make sure all the grains get coated. Add Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour in 2 cups of chicken stock to the sauce pot and stir. Bring to a boil for one or two minutes and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for five minutes and then stir the pilaf again and then take off the heat and let stand for fifteen minutes. It will stay warm for a long time in the sauce pot so don’t worry it won’t get cold before serving. This is one of the fastest salmon recipes I know how to make! Now it’s time to make the tomatoes and onions. This dish will all come together!
Method For Tomatoes And Onions:
1. In a medium saute or medium sauce pan take 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil and heat it up.
2. When the oil/butter mix shimmy’s then put in your pearl onions first and get them browned up a bit on all over.
3. When pearl onions are browned up then put in your grape or cheery tomatoes and saute well. Wait for the tomatoes to break open and then continue to saute for 1 to two minutes and then take off heat and cover and put aside. Time to make the salmon!
Method For The Salmon:
1. In a large skillet depending on how big your salmon fillet is you will need 1-2 Tbsp. of butter and 1-3 Tbsp. of olive oil in the skillet.
2. Season both sides of salmon with salt and pepper to taste. (Optionally you can season with salt and pepper and then do a light dusting of AP flour before putting salmon in the skillet as this will allow for some nice brown bits to form and then you can add the tomatoes and onions and then deglaze with some dry white wine if you wanted to before plating the dish!)
3. Now when the oil/butter mix is shimmying then gently put your salmon fillet in the skillet. Watch how it cooks! You only want it to cook a certain amount on each side because you want this piece of salmon to have just a little bit of red in the center of the fillet.
4. When the time comes to turn the salmon due so and watch it cook. It depends how long it will take depending on how thick your fillet is but look for just a thin maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on fillet thickness of pink/red flesh in the middle. Like making a medium rare steak.
5. When the fillet is done plate it in the center of the plate.
6. Take your tomato onion mix and scoop some on either side of the salmon.
7. Now take your rice pilaf and scoop some on either side of the salmon.
8. Take your Creamy Mustard Dijon Dill sauce and spoon some or as much as you want on your salmon fillet and serve!