News International has said it is shutting the News of the World after this Sunday's edition, following a spate of fresh revelations over alleged phone hacking.
Comedian & actor Steve Coogan, who sued the News of the World after it emerged his phone had been hacked, told Newsnight that he was "delighted" that the newspaper is closing & it's a "victory for decency and humanity".
"I have to say that this week is a momentous event. A lot of people have been saying it's a bad day for the press. I think it's a wonderful day for the press. People knew this was going on but accepted it because they thought it was part of the landscape to tolerate this kind of behaviour."
Coogan went on:
"Let's not forget that the News of the World is, as far as I'm concerned & always has been - misogynistic, xenophobic, single parent hating, asylum seeker hating & it's gone to the wall & I'm delighted."