Here are different categories of friends. You can be in any one, or you can be in the whole group.
Categories Of Friends:
1. Friends that delight us
2. Friends that are dedicated to us
3. Friends that disappoint us
4. Friends that desert us
2 Timothy 4:9-18
There are times in our lives when our friends will fail us.
2 Timothy 1:15, 4:10, v16
Reasons friends fail us:
1. Inadequacy - Sometimes friends want to help you out, in any given situation, but they don't know how, or what to do. They may not know how to be the kind of friend you need at any given time, &/or situation.
2. Identification - Don't wanna be identified with you for whatever reason(s). Bitterness about the situation, &/or towards someone(s), denial of the existence of our pain, resentfulness, & unforgiveness towards the someone(s) who we need to forgive, only prevents us from being healed of the hurts(s).
3. Jealousy - If someone, &/or some people are jealous of you, for whatever reason(s), they may, & probably don't want to help you. They may be just selfish, & not want to give of their time.
Sometimes, when you are going through a difficult time, people may act/claim to be your friends, but instead of understanding you, they want to judge you, & they judge you so that eliminates them having any responsibility to help you. When people respond this particular way, the problem is that they have a character flaw. Not in the person going through the difficulty, but in the person(s) claiming to be your friend(s), but does not have the courage to stand with you, or who does not have the love to be supportive, reliable, & just be there for you.
Being reliable, supportive, helping them, loving them, being there, praying for them - that's what being a true genuine friend is all about. If you lack any of these, you are not a friend, no matter who you are.
Sometimes, people who claim to be our friends, want something. That is not friendship, if that is their motivation. If you want to give, that is a different story, & you will also get in return. That is friendship.
Forgiveness is absolutely necessary, & must prevail in spite of our hurts.
(look again @)2 Timothy 4:16
If you hold unforgivness towards someone who mistreats you, there is no healing of that. Do not harbor unforgivness. It is not a Godly thing to do - to return any misdeed to those, who have done any misdeed(s) to us. & we must all think: In our lifetimes, how many genuine friends do/will we have?
The faithful presence of The Lord will sustain us, when others fail/abandon us. This is an important statement to remember. 2 Timothy 4:16-18
The Lord will stand with you. - Jesus Christ will stand with you. If Jesus Christ is in you, He will stand with you. As long as you are a follower, & believer of Him. Colossians 1:27, John 14:16-18. You will never be alone Psalm 57:1-4.
The Lord will strengthen you. Jesus Christ is both all, & everything that we will ever need. 2 Timothy 4:17, Philippians 2:13, 1 Peter 5:10 God gives us the strength to carry out His will.
The Lord will deliver you. 2 Timothy 4:17-18, Isaiah 43:1-4
What kind of friend are you?
What kind of people claim to be your friends?
You can't make people love, want, or like you. But you can always forgive them, no matter what. Because forgiveness is healing. & if you want friends that are the good kind, you must in turn be the good kind of friend. & you should want to be a Godly friend, not because you need them, but because you genuinely want to be.
In Touch with Charles Stanley is online @ www.InTouch.org (no spaces in between) You can also e-mail Stanley @ askDrStanley@InTouch.org
If you can't read these sermon notes, check out the vid description for them. Than You, & God Bless! :)
The pic used is mine.
To order this sermon, call 1-800-323-3747