Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jul 31, 2013
The Arcata Community Forest is one of very few, community-owned forests in the west. Much of Arcata's Community Forest was logged during the 1880's. Following the logging of the Arcata's Community Forest, the area was used for grazing and for water supply. It was not until the 1930-1940's that the citizens of Arcata gained title to the Community Forest for the purpose of providing water to the town (Van Kirk 1985). By 1955, the Community Forest was dedicated as the first municipally owned forest in the State of California, and was to be "managed for the benefit of all citizens of the city, with attention to watershed, recreation, timber management, and other values." For more information on redwood and sustainable redwood forestry practices, visit www.realstrongredwood.com.