From the cd Backed in Black. Acoustic versions with female voices.
Female acoustic versions of AC/DC songs? Yes, it's a gimmick, but it works on its own terms. And it's a sweet irony, considering AC/DC's music has always been macho, swaggering boys' anthems.
So what happens when you put an army of Lilith Fair-ready female artists to these tunes? Something pretty good, actually. In fact, the best track on here is the opener, Sunny Hodge's unbelievably sweet, feminine "Hells Bells". The original, with its spare, ominous electric guitar riff and slow grinding groove, is the last song I'd expected to work in this context, but Hodge turns the riff into an almost primitive-blues acoustic riff while her thin, sweet voice turns the cock-rock lyrics into something so bizarre, you just have to grin. Single-name artist Patty does a good job turning "Highway to Hell" into a country-rock busking tune (I've sung that song with this arrangement, myself), and Leslie King is also great on "You Shook Me All Night Long". "Back in Black", though, suffers from cover artist Reyo Bikkin's inability to hit those Brian Johnson high notes on the chorus, rendering those feral "Back in black!" hooks rather flaccid.
Strange and weirdly interesting. My big gripe is that, excluding the two "bonus tracks" ending the disc ("Highway to Hell" and "For Those about to Rock"), they did every song off the Back in Black album, thus rendering the song selection very limited. Imagined if they'd had someone do "Rising Power", "Thunderstruck" or "Let There Be Rock" with an acoustic guitar and female vocals!
Review written by D. Mok, is available on amazon.com
Check out the other tracks.
1. Hells Bells - Sunny Hodge
2. Shoot To Thrill - Marmalade
3. What Do You Do For Money Honey - Nikki Boyer
4. Given The Dog A Bone - My Sister Amazing
5. Let Me Put My Love Into You - Erin Alden
6. Back In Black - Reyo Bikkin
7. You Shook Me All Night Long - Leslie King
8. Have A Drink On Me - Kerstin Wiberg
9. Shake A Leg - Kate Higgins
10. Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - Roxanne Morentern
11. Highway To Hell - Patty
12. For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) - Jessica Will