The country’s top prize for farming the best quality milk has been awarded to Kieran & Catherine O’Sullivan, from Dunmanus, Goleen, Co. Cork who supply their milk to Drinagh Co-op.
The winners of the NDC & Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards were announced in Dublin on 20th October 2015 with presentations to 13 top dairy farms by hurling legend Henry Shefflin and Minister Tom Hayes T.D. Runners up in the national awards are Denis, Siobhan, Barry and Jane O’Mahony from Shanakiel, Kilbrittain, Bandon, Co. Cork, who supply milk to Barryroe Co-op.
Overall winners Kieran and Catherine O’Sullivan, were accompanied by 18 year old son Cathal, who farms with them and by Kieran’s parents Donal and Mary O’Sullivan.
Kieran and Catherine are the 5th generation of their family to farm at Dunmanus, which is close to Mizen Head. “I inherited how my father used to do things but am still learning every day,” says Kieran. “Now I see how Cathal is learning the ropes and I’m very proud to be able to pass on this knowledge and expertise to my son.”
Winners – 2015 NDC & Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards #MadeForThis
• The overall national winners of the NDC & Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards for 2015 (Best Milk Quality) are Kieran & Catherine O’Sullivan, Dunmanus, Goleen, Co. Cork. They supply their milk to Drinagh Co-op.
• Denis, Siobhan, Barry & Jane O’Mahony, Shanakiel, Kilbrittain, Bandon, Co. Cork (representing Barryroe Co-op) have won the Overall Runners Up prize (Best Milk Quality) in the 2015 NDC & Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards.
Four farms received National Category Awards:
• John & Ann Fitzgerald, Gobbinstown House, New Ross, Co. Wexford (representing Glanbia Ingredients Ireland) won a National Category Award for Lowest TBC/Most Hygienic Milk.
• John & Margaret Greene, Greenville, Callan, Co. Kilkenny (representing Callan Co-op) won a National Category Award for Lowest SCC/Best Udder Health
• James Kingston, Maulnageragh, Clonakilty, Co. Cork (representing Lisavaird Co-op) won a National Category Award for Best Milk Protein
• John & Colette Fox, Ballinacregg, Oranmore, Co. Galway (representing Arrabawn Co-op) won a National Category Award for Attention to Detail
National Finalists presented with a commemorative plaque to acknowledge their excellence in dairy farming and achievement were:
• Dan & Valerie Dennehy, Clonmoyle, Aghabullogue, Co. Cork (representing Dairygold Co-op)
• Gerard & Marie Killoran, Carrowloughlin, Bunninadden, Ballymote, Co. Sligo (representing Aurivo Co-op)
• Florence & Caitriona McCarthy, Banna East, Ardfert, Co. Kerry (representing Lee Strand Co-op)
• Michael and Mary Ita McCarthy, Kilmurray, Feenagh, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick (representing Kerry Agribusiness)
• Owen & Rosaleen O’Brien, Cashelbeg, Enniskeane, Co. Cork (representing Bandon Co-op)
• Thomas & Marie Ryan, Kylemakill, Moyne, Thurles, Co. Tipperary (representing Centenary Thurles Co-op)
• Ivor Smyth, Countenan, Poles, Co Cavan (representing Lakeland Dairies)
For more information on each of this year's finalists visit http://qualitymilkawards.ie.
For further information about The National Dairy Council, visit ndc.ie or follow the NDC on Facebook and Twitter for news and events updates.
For further information about Kerrygold, visit kerrygold.com or follow Kerrygold on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
MUSIC: The Barr Brothers - 'Beggar in the Morning'
Visit http://thebarrbrothers.com for more info or view their artist page on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/artist/4OyRu...