John Deere E hit & miss engine rebuilt ignitor start up & running burning off excess crankcase oil





Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jun 11, 2012

This is a compilation of several videos of a John Deere E hit and miss engine I bought that had the ignitor rusted tight with both ignitor springs and the trip arm spring rusted off. It also had the leadout tower partially pulled out of the magneto so I didn't know when I bought it if the mag was any good or not.

I bought a new set of springs for the ignitor and trip arm, rebuilt and installed the ignitor, but not knowing yet if the mag was any good, I originally started it up on a battery and coil and tested the mag with a voltmeter while it was running. The mag only put out 4-5 volts running, but when I switched the wire from the battery to the mag it kept running, so I figured I did OK on the ignitor rebuild. I didn't know yet if it would start on the mag though, as it only put out 1 1/2 volts when cranking the engine. While I do have a few short clips of it running on the battery, I didn't include any of them in this video.

With the gas tank rotted out, I filled a pop can about 1/2 full of gas and ran the fuel line into it. Before I started it the first time, I checked to make sure it had oil in it, and found that the previous owner had severly overfilled it, but rather than drain it down I left the excess oil in it so it could splash around good and oil everything up nice.... More on that later {-_*}

This video shows it starting up and running On The Magneto, which again only puts out 1.5 volts cranking and 4-5 volts running.

It fired right up on the first try which made me happy, but the longer it ran, it began to smoke a bit. Then it started smoking more and more, eventually getting to the point where it was actually spraying oil out the muffler along with dripping out the end of the exhaust valve. I originally had it running right behind my old 69 Pontiac Firebird beater car, but when I noticed it was 'painting' the license plate black with oil I decided it was best to move it out in the yard a little bit.

All in all, it burned probably 1/2 a Quart of oil to less than 1/2 a pop can of gas, or roughly 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 oil to gas mixture and it never fouled out the ignitor even with the low voltage supplied by the magneto. Needless to say, I was very happy with my ignitor rebuild.

Eventually the oil level got down to where it should be, and the smoke died down. I moved it around the back yard and set it on my trailer, but never covered it, and it got rained on for two days, so I decided to see if it would start wet or not, and sure enough, it fired right up again even with the weak mag.

The end of the video shows my home made breather cap working as it should, letting the compression blow-by out of the crankcase, and then sealing to create vaccuum which helps control oil leaks around the crankcase and magneto, along with sucking some of it back off the piston so it doesn't all go by the rings. When I got the engine, it just had a flat washer bolted down tight with one side of it bent up so it could breathe, but with it like that, it never sealed when it was supposed to, it was just vented all the time. I remedied that by making my own breather 'valve'.

Here's Another video I just posted 5-29-15 https://youtu.be/w1kmCD-6QoU of a Breather Assembly I designed and made for someone else's JD E during the Memorial Day Ice Cream Social at the Silvercreek Museum in Freeport Illinois.

What looks like metal shavings on the engine is flakes of aluminum colored material from a tarp I threw over it AFTER letting it get rained on.

  • Category

  • License

    • Standard YouTube License


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...