Loading...

NI first minister Peter Robinson steps aside in Stormont crisis

249 views

Loading...

Loading...

Transcript

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Sep 10, 2015

Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson has stepped aside and other DUP ministers are to resign as a result of the political crisis at Stormont.
He has asked his party colleague Arlene Foster to take over as acting first minister, after the DUP failed to get enough support to adjourn the assembly.
The crisis was sparked by an ex-IRA man's murder and a police assessment IRA members may have been involved.
Mr Robinson said the latest problems have "pushed devolution to the brink".
'Gatekeeper role'
The murder of Kevin McGuigan Sr took place in Belfast last month but the political row escalated on Wednesday, when detectives arrested a senior member of Sinn Féin as part of the murder inquiry.
The party's chairman in Northern Ireland, Bobby Storey, is still being questioned.
The DUP leader stepped aside from his role as first minister on Thursday afternoon, after Sinn Féin, the Ulster Unionists and the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) voted against the adjournment motion.
With the exception of Mrs Foster, the DUP's ministers have all signed their letters of resignation.
Mr Robinson said he has "stepped aside but not technically resigned" and has asked Mrs Foster to play a "gatekeeper role".
'Immediate effect'
"Arlene remaining in post allows us to ensure that no irrational financial decisions are taken by other parties in what might appear to be the last number of days of this assembly," he added.

Loading...

When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...