Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jun 25, 2013
Please watch, comment, like and share! (tweet it too) Clayton Thomas-Muller - #SovSummer National Campaigner gives speech at Canadian Parliament on National Aboriginal Day - Welcoming of Sacred Walkers, June 21, 2013 to announce the official launch of Joint Campaign "Sovereignty Summer" of Defenders of the Land and Idle No More!
6 core demands of Sovereignty Summer:
1. Repeal provisions of Bill C-45 (including changes to the Indian Act and Navigable Waters Act, which infringe on environmental protections, Aboriginal and Treaty rights) and abandon all pending legislation which does the same.
2. Deepen democracy in Canada through practices such as proportional representation and consultation on all legislation concerning collective rights and environmental protections, and include legislation which restricts corporate interests.
3. In accordance with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights ofIndigenous Peoples' principle of free, prior, and informed consent, respect the right ofIndigenous peoples to say no to development on their territory . 4. Cease its policy of extinguishment ofAboriginal Title and recognize and affirm Aboriginal Title and Rights, as set out in section 35 ofCanada's constitution, and recommended by the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples.
5. Honour the spirit and intent of the historic Treaties. Officially repudiate the racist Doctrine of Discovery and the Doctrine of Terra Nullius, and abandon their use to justify the seizure of Indigenous Nations lands and wealth.
6. Actively resist violence against women and hold a national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, and involve Indigenous women in the design, decision-making, process and implementation of this inquiry, as a step toward initiating a comprehensive and coordinated national action plan.