Uploaded on Aug 8, 2011
This video features Yuvraj Pujari and group from Washi District, Kolhapur city, Maharashtra. These artists belong to the Dhangar community, known for their traditional occupation of shepherding. In the evenings when the males gather, they sing and dance to entertain themselves. The younger members like Yuvraj Pujari have learned these traditional art forms by observing the elders of the community.
The featured artists include:
Yuvraj Pujari, Krishnath Range, Vitthal Pujari, Anil Pujari, Santosh Pujari, Irappu Pujari, Dhanashri Range, Sager Pujari, Vasudev Pujari, Mahendra Pujari, Ragunath Dhanager, Shivaji Range, Kashinath Range, Ashok Pujari, Datta Range
Baajaa Gaajaa: Music from 21st Century India is an annual three day event organized by Underscore Records Pvt. Ltd.
Baajaa Gaajaa is dedicated to the diversity of Indian music, and to independent artistes and record labels in India. Started in 2009 by vocalist Shubha Mudgal and tabla player Aneesh Pradhan, the Festival features the following events in a span of three days:
- An expo featuring independent artistes, record labels, organizations, institutions, instrument makers, dealers and others
- Three specially curated evening performances at the splendid Ishanya amphitheater
- Open Stage performances every day for which artistes can register to perform
- Seminars on themes focusing on Indian music
- Film screenings followed by discussions with the Directors.
Other episodes in this series of videocasts will feature other forms of music and activities showcased at Baajaa Gaajaa 2011.
Interviewer -- Camera -- Editing by Sudev Sheth
This videocast is made possible by the generous support of the Ford Foundation.
Standard YouTube License