Objective: Lower Body Strength
Set Up & Equipment Needed: BB, Squat Rack or Platform
Technique/Execution: Athlete will place feet flat beneath bar squat down and grasp bar with shoulder width or slightly wider over hand or mixed grip. Lift bar by extending hips and knees to full extension. Pull shoulders back at top of lift if rounded. Return by bending knees forward slightly while allowing hips to bend back behind, keeping back straight and knees pointed same direction as feet.
• Think Pushing instead of pulling.
• Throughout lift keep hips low, shoulders high, arms and back straight.
• Knees should point same direction as feet throughout movement.
• Keep bar close to body to improve mechanical leverage.
Modifications (Progressions/Regressions): Grip strength and strength endurance often limits ability to perform multiple reps at heavy resistances. Gym chalk, grip work, and mixed grip can be used to enhance grip. Mixed grip indicates one hand holding with over hand grip and other hand holding with underhand grip.
• Straighten your arms
• Squatting the weight
• Avoid rounding your low back or hyper extending your low back
• Avoid rolling or shrugging your shoulders
• Not pushing through the heels
• Setting up too far away from the bar
• Not using the glutes at lockout