Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Dec 26, 2010
SUNDAY, DEC. 26, 1 P.M. EASTERN
The PBA GEICO Shark Championship is the fifth telecast of the 2010-11 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour season and will air this Sunday, Dec. 26 at 1 p.m. Eastern on ESPN from South Point Bowling Center in Las Vegas.
For the second consecutive week the telecast will feature an international-laden stepladder finals field where four countries are represented: Australia, Finland, Canada and U.S. It is also the first PBA stepladder final to feature two players who use a two-handed delivery (Jason Belmonte and Osku Palermaa).
The GEICO Shark Championship is the last of the five "animal" pattern events conducted as part of the PBA World Series of Bowling. The final event from the World Series of Bowling will be the "USA vs. The World" team event on Jan. 9 at 1 p.m. Eastern on ESPN.
Eugene McCune won the season-opening Brunswick Pro Bowling Cheetah Championship, followed by Bill O'Neill winning the Pepsi Viper Championship, Scott Norton then won the Chameleon Championship and Yung-Jin Gu became the first Korean to win a PBA Tour title in the Scorpion Championship.
No. 5 Mike Fagan, Patchogue, N.Y. vs. No. 4 Jason Belmonte, Australia
Winner Match 1 vs. No. 3 Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich.
Winner Match 2 vs. No. 2 Osku Palermaa, Finland
Winner of Match 3 vs. No. 1 Dan MacLelland, Canada
- Fagan will be trying for his third PBA Tour title. His last win was in the One A Day Dick Weber Open last season.
- Australian two-hander and 2008-09 PBA Rookie of the Year Belmonte will be trying for his second title. He won his first in The Bowling Foundation Long Island Classic in March 2009. Belmonte finished third in last week's Scorpion Championship.
- 2009 PBA World Championship winner Smallwood will try for his second Tour title.
- Considered to be Europe's best two-handed player, Palermaa will be trying for his first Tour title. His previous best finish was third in the 2010 Etonic Don Johnson Eliminator last March and fifth in the recent Chameleon Championship.
- PBA Tour rookie MacLelland tries for his first Tour title. He finished fifth in last week's Scorpion Championship.
Tournament Recap: Two 6-game qualifying rounds with top 16 advancing to 9-game match play round.
First round leader (after 6 games qualifying): Mike DeVaney, Murietta, Calif., 1,487
Second round leader (after 12 games qualifying): Belmonte, 2,851
Third round leader (after 21 games qualifying and match play): MacLelland, 4,901