Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Sep 11, 2008
The WHO Iraq Family Health Survey - which estimated the deaths in Iraq at only 151,000 - was not an independent study.
It was carried out on behalf of the World Health Organization, by the Iraqi Ministry of Health which (although ran by Iraqi Dr Salih al-Hasnawi) is overseen & advised by the American & Bush 'loyalist' James K.Haveman Jnr.
The guy originally sent to oversee the Iraqi healthcare system; Frederick M Burkle Jr. was sacked, because (as senior USAID officials told him) the White House wanted a 'loyalist' on the job.
The Iraqi Ministry of Health was trying to keep an accurate account on the death tolls using morgue records, but were pressured to stop by the U.S. puppet government in Iraq.
Washington Post article about Burkle & Haveman:
"That's what happened with James K. Haveman Jr., who was selected to oversee the rehabilitation of Iraq's health care system.
Haveman, a 60-year-old social worker, was largely unknown among international health experts, but he had connections. He had been the community health director for the former Republican governor of Michigan, John Engler, who recommended him to Paul D. Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of defense."
"Haveman replaced Frederick M. Burkle Jr., a physician with a master's degree in public health and postgraduate degrees from Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and the University of California at Berkeley"
"But a week after Baghdad's liberation, Burkle was informed he was being replaced. A senior official at USAID sent Burkle an e-mail saying the White House wanted a "loyalist" in the job. Burkle had a wall of degrees, but he didn't have a picture with the president." **
Washinton Post Rajiv Chandrasekaran Sunday, September 17, 2006
In fact, according the British National Newspaper, The Guardian, Burkle thought that the Baltimore/Lancet figure may have underestimated the civilian death tolls:
One expert also believes the number of civilian casualties may be higher than the Baltimore/Lancet figure. Frederick "Skip" Burkle is a professor in the department of public health and epidemiology at Harvard University who ran Iraq's ministry of health after the war but was sacked by the US and replaced by a Bush loyalist. He says the survey ignored the occupation's indirect or secondary casualties - deaths caused by the destruction of health services, unemployment and lack of electricity. Two surveys by non-government organisations found a rise in infant mortality and malnutrition, he notes, so why are those figures not reflected in the second study that appeared in the Lancet?
According to the same article, the U.S. puppet Iraqi government pressured the Ministry of Health to stop counting deaths from morgue records:
"There is no shortage of estimates, but they vary enormously. The Iraqi ministry of health initially tried to keep a count based on morgue records but then stopped releasing figures under pressure from the US-supported government in the Green Zone. The director of the Baghdad morgue, already under stress because of the mounting horror of his work, was threatened with death on the grounds that by publishing statistics he was causing embarrassment. The families of the bereaved wanted him to tell the truth, but like other professionals he came to the view that he had to flee Iraq.