Published on Jun 22, 2012
Curry rice (curry and rice / kare-raisu) is a very popular dish in Japan. According to the statistics, we Japanese eat curry rice twice a month!!!
Today, I will show you how to make basic curry rice. More curry rice recipes are coming, so don't miss them and I hope you enjoy!
Curry Rice (Vermont Curry)
Number of servings: 6
1/2 box = 119g (4.2oz.) House Vermont Curry Sauce Mix (Med Hot) *we call it "curry roux". you can choose mild or hot as well.
250g (8.8oz.) meat *chicken, pork, beef, etc...
2 medium (400g=14.1oz.) onions
1&1/2 medium (225g=7.9oz.) potatoes
1/2 medium (100g=3.5oz.) carrot
1 tbsp. cooking oil or butter
6 servings cooked rice
1. Cut meat of your choice into bite-size pieces. Cut the onions into bite-size pieces. Cut the potatoes and the carrot into bite-size pieces.
2. Heat the cooking oil in a large stew pot. Add onions, carrots, and potatoes, and stir-fry them until slightly coated with oil. Add meat and cook until no longer pink.
3. Add 850ml water, bring to a boil, remove the foam, and turn the heat down to low and cook for about 15 minutes.
4.Turn off the heat, break up the curry roux into the pot, and mix well until completely melted. *make sure you stop the heat when you add the curry roux, otherwise it won't blend well.
5. Then put on the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until it thickens.
6. Serve curry on a hot bed of rice.
*for best results, don't use a lid while cooking.
*curry and rice is best eaten on the day it's made but if you have any leftover, store it in the fridge and finish it on the next day, but it is not recommended.
*if you have leftover curry roux, wrap in a plastic wrap and store it in the fridge and use within a week.
How to Make Katsu Curry (Curry and Rice with Pork Cutlet) Recipe カツカレー レシピ
House Vermont Curry Sauce Mix
♥Facebook Fan Page♥ Please "Like" me ;)
♥Visit my Blog for more Recipes♥
♥My Recipe Posts♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Standard YouTube License