Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jan 3, 2010
Wat Arun ( วัดอรุณ ); Temple of the Dawn; Wat Arunratchawararam; Wat Jaeng (formerly); Wat Makok (formerly); Wat Arunrajawararam Rajaworamahavihara
Wat Arun was built in the days of Thailand's ancient capital of Ayutthaya, and was originally known as Wat Makok ("Olive Temple").
In the ensuring era when Thonburi was capital, King Taksin changed the name to Wat Chaeng. The temple briefly hosted the revered Emerald Buddha after it was recaptured from Laos, but it was moved to Wat Phra Kaew in 1784.
King Rama II enlarged the central prang and changed the temple's name to Wat Arunratchatharam. The work was finished by King Rama III, and King Rama IV gave the temple its current full name of Wat Arunratchawararam.