Upload

Loading...

Mt. Tamalpais & Muir Woods Railroad, 1926

4,110

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Oct 18, 2011

Footage compiled from film in the collection of the Anne T. Kent California Room, Marin County Free Library. Edited and scored by Librarian & Digital Archivist Carol Acquaviva.
The Mount Tamalpais and Muir Woods Railroad ran from 1896 until 1929 between downtown Mill Valley to near the summit of Mt. Tamalpais, with a second line descending the West side of Mt. Tamalpais to Muir Woods beginning in 1907.
The first part of this film from 1926 depicts the journey taken from the San Francisco Ferry Building (notice the cars boarding the ferry), across the bay, to Sausalito. From there, passengers would board a passenger train to Mill Valley. At the Mill Valley depot, an open-aired train traveled up the mountain, on the "Crookedest Railroad in the World." At the terminus was a tavern; the one pictured here was the third incarnation, rebuilt after a fire in 1913.
The second part of this film begins at the Tavern of Tamalpais where, travelers depart on a motorless gravity car, which traveled down to Muir Woods.

Loading...

Advertisement
When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up Next


Sign in to add this to Watch Later

Add to