I was really hoping for Kevin to follow me outside. I felt like I needed to talk to him ...alone.
- Hi, i said as he stepped onto the balcony.
He looked very unsure, and i knew this wasn't gonna be easy for either of us. But ever since that night, that kiss... we connected...and i thought about him every day after that.
- It's been a while.., i said.
- Yeah..i wanted to call you, i just, i didn't like the idea of asking Nick for your number...
- It's ok... I dunno why i didn't just give it to you as well...
- Doesn't matter now...
- So... how've you been? asked Kev.
- Ok..., I said, looking at the tiles on the floor.
But as I said it, I thought of Mel and I just couldn't hold it in anymore. I began to cry. Kevin quickly took me in his arms and swayed me from side to side. I squeezed his shirt and we stayed like that for a while. Then he slowly started to loosen his arms and looked me in the eyes. Tears were rolling down my face, but I smiled at him, and he kissed me. He put his warm hands on my face and I opened my eyes. He smiled at me and I wanted to say something, but nothing could make that moment more perfect, so I just smiled back.
After a while we came back in the room and the boys were still watching TV. Kevin sat down on the couch with me in his arms. I couldn't remember the last time I'd felt so safe.
Back at the Portman Mansion, Del's dad had just arrived from the airport and was taking off his coat. Delia came running down the stairs and told him to come straight into his office.
Thinking his daughter had prepared a nice surprise for him, Mr Portman followed her into the room but nearly jumped at what he saw. In his chair, at his desk, sat a very angry woman.
- Delia, what is the meaning of this?! cried Mr Portman.
- Better sit down Dad.
He sat down, but made sure he wasn't facing the lady at the desk.
- I'm gonna make you an offer, continued Delia.
- Delia, why is Miss Blake here?
- I sent a car after her, I knew you werre gonna go and buy me presents before you came home, so we had enough time to talk.
- She knows, said Miss Blake, shooting fires from her eyes.
Mr Portman turned to her and then to Del, he looked completely lost.
- My dear, I'm so sorry, he began.
- Don't...said Del. I don't want your sorry. I'm over the whole affair thing...i really don't care...Dad, you're a grown man, i get it, you have needs... it disgusts me, but i understand.
Before she died, Mel told me everything... and I also know about Mom's will.
- You think I was gonna keep it a secret? asked her Dad, widening his eyes.
- I really don't know anymore what you're capable of...and I don't think i want to know! The point is, you could have told me about the will, and you didn't. In 6 weeks, I'm gonna be 18. I'll have all your shares to the company, this house... just about everything you own is mine.
- But Delia...
- Let me finish...this isn't easy for me, but the time for crying is over. I can't change what you did. But I will change what you're gonna do. You have 6 weeks to find a new job and get a new place. Until then, you can stay here. I'm planning on selling the house anyway after that.
- My dear, think about this...if you'll just let me explain, we can find another arrangement... don't treat me like you don't care!
- This is my decision and I'm not gonna change it. There will probably be a public scandal, maybe the press will find out...i dunno...maybe you'll be marked for life by this...your career will be over..but you'll still find work somewhere..i'm sure of it...and look on the bright side.. now you can marry Miss Blake and be together..it's what you've always wanted!
Mr Portman looked towards Miss Blake with a sad smile. She wasn't angry anymore, but she looked very close to crying.
- But how are you gonna take over the company? All the hotels and leisure centres and clubs... how will you manage?
- I'm going to appoint a business partner who will take care of it all.
- What partner?
- That would be me, Sir, came a voice from the door.