Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Feb 15, 2009
The Kalsa district, seen here looking north from a rooftop in Via Roma, was built in the early C9th as one of the first Arabic planned cities in Europe. The docks and La Cala port are to the west. The name Kalsa comes from al-Khalisa, Arabic for pure. The name Palermo derives from the Arabic Bal'harm, the original city of 100,000 citizens growing to become modern Palermo. A Norman army led by Robert Guiscard secured victory here in January 1072 to set the stage for the conquest of all Sicily.