Uploaded on Feb 9, 2012
This method of upgrading is not supported by Gopro, but if you're running Linux then you'll need to update the firmware without CineForm Studio. If your camera bursts into flames or stops working: Not my problem.
0- Read all instructions and understand that if there's a problem, it's your problem, not mine. Make sure the camera battery is fully charged.
1- Download the latest firmware -
"wget" and "fetch" also work, for those who prefer CLI.
2- Copy the firmware file to an SD card.
3- Insert the SD card into the camera.
4- Hold the "shutter" button while turning the camera on.
5- Release the shutter button. Press and release the power button. A prompt will appear to "press 1". Press and release the power button. A prompt will appear to "press 2". Press and release the power button.
6- The camera will install the update and turn itself off.
6a - (v198 only) Power the camera on, and the update will continue for about a minute, and the camera will turn itself off.
6b - Delete the "HD2-firmware.bin" file from the SD card.
7- Verify the update went well by taking a few still pictures and checking the "software" version in the EXIF metadata - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhlO6...
After formatting the SD card in the camera, there should be a "version.txt" file in the "MISC" folder of the SD card. It will contain the long version of the firmware number, so instead of "v70" you'll see this:
* It's recommended to delete all files from the SD card before doing a firmware upgrade.
* All camera settings will revert to defaults after the upgrade. If you have any special settings, write them down first.
* After updating to v70, I had to reformat my 32GB cards in the camera for them to be recognized.
* It's a good idea to verify the hash of the new file before installing it.
* v222 and v312 incorrectly report EXIF data as "HD2.08.12.71". I'm not sure about v198. With these firmware versions, check the installed version from the SD card: "MISC/version.txt"
v312 - f29165af2efd72b3c46b2bdcbc1c1f16445ce1fc
v222 - 15a3858dec60467439fafd7804ea7d649b487634
v198 - 5031a90ce730591e207ddf3d6ae4546e22037eb8 (ProTune)
v124 - a923d64ed486054244997863972c6aedd3ea197e
v70 - 47c8de1e88e6709f53de98462037e3dcb1e44758
v58 - 7468e67f62560eee40acbfa3f7cadd9e5ce0eb05
v50 - 328d97d4bde572fe83ccefb7a5f7f28fc209c539
Video: CC-BY-NC & CC-BY-SA v3.0
Music: CC-BY v3.0 - "Olde Timey", Kevin MacLeod - http://incompetech.com/
Standard YouTube License