The Deacon Andrew Hetfield House Circa 1760 Constitution Plaza - Watchung Avenue Mountainside, New Jersey
The Mountainside Historic Restoration Committee has been entrusted by the Borough of Mountainside, New Jersey to preserve and maintain the history and historic value of the Borough. With this task in mind, the Committee strives to collect and safeguard information and artifacts related to the history of the Borough of Mountainside, which was established in 1895.
The Deacon Andrew Hetfield House is the centerpiece and headquarters of the Mountainside Historic Restoration Committee. Erected in three phases, the first 1-1/2 story section of the house was built in 1760, with the center one-story section added and then a two-story section with an additional second floor added over the center. It is believed that the work was completed by 1830. Bay windows were added in the 1840's and 1870's. The house was owned by the Hetfield family and their descendants until 1946. In addition to the Hetfield residence, the house was used as a tea room in the 1930's and as an antique store in the 1940's and 1980's. Since the house's move in 1985 from Route 22 to its present location, the house has been owned by the Borough of Mountainside and maintained by the Mountainside Historic Restoration Committee for use as a museum and a meeting place for the people of Mountainside. The Deacon Andrew Hetfield House was registered onto both the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.