Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jun 9, 2013
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN SPAWNING MOPS: 1. Buy some acrylic yarn. You can choose any color you'd like, but keep in mind two things. First, eggs will be much easier to see on darker yarn; and second, some people find that fish spawn more readily on green colored yarn. For this project, you will also need scissors, tape, cork bottle stoppers, and a hardcover book that is about as tall as the tank you're going to use the spawning mops in.
2. Cut off a length of yarn and lay it horizontally across the book, near the top. Use a couple pieces of tape to hold it in place while you work.
3. Begin winding the yarn vertically around the book. Go around about 100 times. You can do fewer or more times depending on how thick you want your mop to be.
4. Using the piece of yarn that was laid horizontally across the book, tie a knot at the top.
5. Then take your scissors and cut the yarn at the bottom of the book.
6. Take a cork, place it in the middle of your mop, and fold the mop in half to completely cover the cork. Then, while holding the top tight with one hand, tie a length of yarn around it to keep the cork held securely in place.
7. Boil some water in a large pot. Once it has reached a rolling boil, remove it from heat and soak your spawning mop in the hot water for about 15 minutes. Then rinse it off in cool water, and it's ready to use!