Full shownotes and links: http://hive45.com/plus/singularity-su...
James Newton-Thomas [07:38]
* "Advances in Science and Technology"
* Re-iterated recent trends in technology and robotics
* Quadrocopter - $300 RRP toy device with advanced microcomputer technology, could not be possible 10 years ago.
Hugo de Garis [8:37]
* "The politics of AI"
* Writing a new book with Ben Goertzel
* Constructing super human intelligence (Hugo calls them 'artilects')
* Global species war as artilects approach and surpass human intelligence
* Unabomber's Manifesto - Ted Kaczynski could have statues erected in the future as being the first Terran
* The uncanny valley of machine intelligence could spark the mainstream fear
* Laws of robotics, ethics in AI, AI nanny
* Anthropomorphizing AI
* Terrans have zero chance unless they strike first
* Is Hugo a Terran or a Cosmist?
* Biotechnology, transhumanism, surrogacy, art
* More distributed parts that make-up the conscious self
* "It's no longer meaningful to ask if it's biological or not, it's become a more effective operational system and that's what's important"
* First athlete with prosthetic legs qualifies for "real" Olympics
Steve Omohundro 1st talk [21:42]
* "Minds Making Minds: Artifical Intelligence and the Future of Humanity"
* If everything acts as an intelligent, rational agent they are sociopathic. Needs irrationality = lack of computational resources
* There's an equilibrium between rationality and available computing resources
* The ecology of AI
* Dangers of programming a utility function - e.g. AI with desire to play chess
* Chess grey goo!
Ray Jarvis [24:53]
* "The envy of Roboticists -- AI Operating in the Material World"
* Practical talk on what we have now in robotics
* Using spinning lasers to 3D map an environment for robots
* Google Earth3D map the entire world with drones - "burn the retinas, use the new Android Eye!"
* Role of robots for AI as a feedback mechanism for training
Ben Goertzel 1st talk [28:48]
* "Artificial General Intelligence -- Roadmaps"
* Artificial General Intelligence and the roadmap on how to achieve it
* Operating in the Minecraft world to teach an AI agent
* Nanny AI as a possibility of halting progress in AI development until it matures
* Gradual transition and merge with machines
* The notion of AI being engineered or emerging?
Kevin B. Korb & Ann Nicholson [35:09]
* "Bayesian Artificial Intelligence"
* Bayesian probability and trying to workout utility function
* Utilitarian ethics in AI that considers all agents
* AI take 500 years to develop, got in an argument with Goertzel
* "Arrogance displayed as false modesty"
* Ethics doesn't apply to AI
* Bayesian nets tool
Steve Omohundro 2nd talk [39:59]
* "The Emerging Global Mind, Cooperation, and Compassion"
* Hivemind AI rant!
* So much more untouched on
* Ants and bees, individual cells joining together to create complexity
* Society operating quicker
* Maybe blackholes are the reproductive drive for the Universe
David Dowe [43:45]
* "(Bayesian/Algorithmic) Information theory, one- and two-part compression, and measures of intelligence"
* Universal general measure of intelligence
* Abstraction and abduction
* Measure of intelligence is what is the most complex situation an entity can understand
* Kolmogorov complexity
* Economist article: Intelligence testing - Who are you calling bird-brained?
* Definition of intelligence that is transcendent of humanity
* Steve Wozniak's coffee test
David Chalmers [47:53]
* "The Singularity -- A Philosophical Analysis"
* A philosophical analysis of the Singularity and AI - formulating the assumptions
* AI, AI+, AI++
* It doesn't require consciousness, just intelligent behaviour
* Mind uploading and philosophy of mind
* Merge with your upload
* Simulating virtual avatar self life paths and then picking the best one
Burkard Polster & Alan Hájek [52:01]
* "The problem with probability"
* "A Plea for the Improbable"
* Monty Hall Problem
* Probability and Bayesian networks
* Philosophy of probability
Ben Goertzel 2nd talk [53:25]
* "Genomics, AI and Experimental Evolution"
* Methuselah flies - experimental evolution for breeding flies increase lifespan by 4x
* Comparing SNPs using narrow AI to find differences
* Genescient Stem Cell 100
* Gene therapy for longevity
* The Methuselarity
* Experiment-driven discovery instead of traditional scientific hypothesis
* Genetic Census
Lawrence Krauss [60:31]
* "The future of life in the Universe"
* A Universe From Nothing video
* How long Moore's Law will last for in a finite Universe
* Universal expansion, flat Universe
* Skeptical about other civilizations in the Universe reaching the Singularity
* Sleeping and computing to last as long as possible before the heat-death of the Universe
* The future aint what it used to be