Loading...

The boundary of the Radomsko ghetto. Part Three.

948 views

Loading...

Loading...

Transcript

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Nov 26, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alan-H...

http://www.ceepackaging.com
twitter : @ceepackaging
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CEE-Pa...

This film shows part of the Radomsko ghetto as it was established in December 1939 including parts of the streets, Mickiewicza, Josielewicza, Fabaniego, Rolna and Wyszynskiego.

Radomsko was captured by the Fourth Panzer Division on Sunday, 3 September 1939. Whilst under military rule, the Jewish population was subjected to brutal treatment including the murder of some people.

On 31 October 1939, Radomsko became the second place where Jews had to wear compulsory markings (after Włocławek). The marking was initially only for men and denoted how many days slave labour were required.

On 20 December 1939, Radomsko became the second city in Poland to have a ghetto established - following nearby Piotrków Trybunalski. The ghetto incorporated the following streets in the city centre : Rolna, Stodolna, Joselwicza, Strzalkowska, Fabianiego, and Mickiewicza. (See film from the Radomsko ghetto).

The Jewish population of Radomsko was about 10,000 in 1939. People were also brought to the ghetto from Łódź, Ozorkow and Zdunska Wola as well as outlying villages such as Amstow, Plawno, Gidziel, Kamiensk, Kodran, Mojslawice, Strzalkow, and Klomnice. Overcrowding was such that around ten people were living in one room. There were two major typhus epidemics in 1940 and 1942.

On 9 October 1942, the ghetto was sealed and the population gathered at a sports field. Some 350 people were granted a reprieve, the remainder were sent to Treblinka. Two transports left on 10 and 12 October 1942, taking 12,000 - 14,000 people to the gas chambers.

A couple of weeks later the Nazis announced that they would create four Jewish towns Ujazd, Sandomierz, Szydlowiec and Radomsko. People returned from the countryside knowing they could not survive the winter. On 6 January 1943 this ghetto was also liquidated with people being sent to Treblinka or the Skarzysko-Kamienna armaments plant for slave labour.

Other Jews rounded up later were shot in the Jewish cemetary or deported to the Płonki slave labour camp. By July 1943 there were no Jews left in Radomsko.

Loading...

When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...