Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Jun 14, 2009
Croydon, a Surrey market town twelve miles South of London ( well now its actually a London Borough of some 300,000 folk) , expanded rapidly in the 1880s as a London dormitory. The old town from where Croydon's water supply was drawn was so insanitory that typhoid outbreaks were common when the water level dropped so in January 1885 Croydon Corporation started to build a new well outside the town at Addington on the back slope of the North Downs. Here a well 200 feet deep gathered water from an area of 11 square miles and the pumping station pumped the water to a reservoir in Addington Hills. Two beam engines were installed along with 5 Cornish boilers to provide steam at 100psi. The pumps operated with any major fault until 1974 when the station was demolished and replaced by electric submersible pumps.
This film was shot in July 1973 but not edited and released until Beulah took on the project in 2009.