Loading...

Forces charities refuse News of the World cash 27.07.11

163 views

Loading...

Loading...

Transcript

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jul 28, 2011

The News of the World's former defence correspondent has revealed how he had to "beg" military charities to accept part of the proceeds from the paper's last edition. Paul McNamara was on a Navy warship, sailing to Italy, when the phone-hacking scandal exploded. By the time he returned to Britain, the decision had already been taken to shut down the News of the World. In an article for the New York Times, he says he was ordered to find military charities to accept around a million pounds - part of the proceeds from the sale of the paper's last edition. But he says many refused - angry at claims the paper had hacked into the phones of relatives of service personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the end, he says, he had to "beg" them - making around fifty calls in all. Eventually, three charities agreed to take the cash.

Comments are disabled for this video.
When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...