Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Jan 24, 2011
In 1870 John D. Perry, president of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, visited Colorado and purchased the 4,000-acre (16 km2) "Pleasant Park" that would eventually be named Perry Park. Mr. Perry's son, Charles became a permanent resident of the ranch and raised short-horn cattle in the area until his death in 1876. Charles Perry died as a result of being kicked by a horse on the ranch.
In 1888 John Perry, along with a number of other investors created the Red Stone Town, Land and Mining Company which would attempt to turn Pleasant Park into a resort destination. A dam was constructed on Bear Creek creating Lake Wauconda and a large hotel was built Southwest of the lake. One of the investors, Charles Roberts built one of the only homes in the new development along the shores of Lake Wauconda (even though the entire area surrounding the lake was platted for home development). The Roberts home (the Manor House) is now the clubhouse for Perry Park Country Club. Attempts to extend the railroad running through Larkspur directly into the park failed and the resort did not prosper as a result. Land deed problems also contributed to the failure of the resort since many parcels of land could not be legally traced to the supposed owners. The ranch changed hands many times in the early to mid 1900's. The hotel was eventually destroyed by fire.