World Cup 1966 Final - England 4:2 Germany





Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Nov 11, 2007

0:1 Helmut Haller (12.)
1:1 Geoff Hurst (18.)
2:1 Martin Peters (78.)
2:2 Wolfgang Weber (90.)
3:2 Geoff Hurst (98.)
4:2 Geoff Hurst (120.)

England, managed by Alf Ramsey and captained by Bobby Moore, won the toss and elected to kick off. After twelve minutes, Siegfried Held sent a cross into the English penalty area which Ray Wilson misheaded to Helmut Haller, who got his shot on target. Jackie Charlton and goalkeeper Gordon Banks failed to deal with the shot which went in making it 10 to West Germany.

In the 19th minute, Wolfgang Overath conceded a free kick, which Moore floated into the West German area, Geoff Hurst ran in and deflected the ball into the net for an equaliser.

he teams were level at half time, and after 77 minutes England won a corner. Alan Ball delivered the ball to Geoff Hurst whose deflected shot from the edge of the area found Martin Peters. He produced the final shot, beating the West German keeper from eight yards to make the score 21 to England.

The Germans pressed for an equaliser in the closing moments, and in the last minute the referee awarded them a free-kick when Uwe Seeler backed into Jack Charlton who protested that he was the one who had been fouled. The kick was taken by Lothar Emmerich, with the ball going to George Cohen who managed to block it, but the ball bounced across the England six-yard box and Wolfgang Weber struck home to level the scores at 22 and force the match into extra time. The German equaliser was controversial since the ball had appeared to strike the hand of Karl-Heinz Schnellinger whilst travelling through the penalty area. Gordon Banks maintains that the ball struck Schnellinger's hand.

With eleven minutes of extra time gone, Alan Ball put in a cross and Geoff Hurst swivelled and shot from close range. The ball hit the underside of the cross bar, bounced down - apparently on or just over the line - and was cleared. The referee Gottfried Dienst was uncertain if it had been a goal and consulted his linesman, Tofik Bakhramov from the USSR, who in a moment of drama indicated that it was. After non-verbal communication, as they had no common language, the Swiss referee awarded the goal to the home team. The crowd and the audience of 400 million television viewers were left arguing whether the goal should have been given or not.

England's third goal has remained controversial ever since the match. According to the Laws of the Game the definition of a goal is when "the whole of the ball passes over the goal line".

In England, supporters cite the good position of the linesman and the statement of Roger Hunt, the nearest England player to the ball, who claimed it was a goal and that was why he wheeled away in celebration rather than tapping the rebounding ball in.

However, a study conducted by the Engineering Department at Oxford University concluded that the ball did not cross the line entirely and that it was 6 cms away from being a goal (Goal-directed Video Metrology).

German supporters cite the possible bias of the Soviet linesman (Bakhramov was from Azerbaijan), especially as the USSR had just been defeated in the semi-finals by West Germany. Bakhramov later stated in his memoirs that he believed the ball had bounced back not from the crossbar, but from the net and that he was not able to observe the rest of the scene, so it did not matter where the ball hit the ground anyway. When Bakhramov was asked on his deathbed how could he be sure the third goal had crossed the line, he was alleged to have replied 'Stalingrad'. Swiss referee Gottfried Dienst, otherwise regarded as the best referee, did not see the scene.


  • Category

  • License

    • Standard YouTube License
  • Song

    • 運命 {運命=さだめ}
  • Artist

    • 佐藤 直紀
  • Licensed by

    • Victor Entertainment, Inc., and 6 Music Rights Societies



to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...