Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Apr 20, 2012
11-year-old Estee Dechtman had just taken a Red Cross Babysitter's Training the morning of June 27 when, later that afternoon, her 2-1/2-year-old brother ingested more than half a dozen medication pills. Estee used her freshly learned babysitter skills to save the day, recognizing the emergency, alerting her parents and reciting the Poison Control number from memory so that her father could respond appropriately to help the toddler.
"I was really surprised she knew the number, and it was great because I was ready to pull up the Web site and look for it, but I didn't need to because she already knew it by heart," her dad said. "
They told poison control what the medication was and how much her little brother had ingested and, fortunately for little Isaac, the quantity he had ingested was not harmful enough to need medical care. However, had it been some other substance, Isaac's life could have been at risk.
Estee and her father credit her recent Red Cross training with providing her with the knowledge and the confidence to act quickly and correctly in what could have been a life-threatening situation.
"My babysitting skills definitely came in handy because I wouldn't have known poison control's number otherwise and it might have been too late by the time we figured it out," Estee said.