Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jan 3, 2012
The creator of Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong video game characters had the industry buzzing when an interview was published by Wired earlier in December in which he hinted at retirement. But the 59-year-old game designer told the Associated Press through an interpreter that he was simply misunderstood. He said that while he has no plans to quit Nintendo, he is working to prepare the famed Japanese company's younger game designers to take over eventually for him and others in the old guard.
Miyamoto currently holds the title of Manager of Nintendo's Entertainment Analysis and Development division. His creations appear in three recently-released titles: "Mario Kart 7", "Super Mario 3D Land" and "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword". Miyamoto expects his characters to outlive him. Nintendo's first foray into HD will be when its Wii U console is released, likely late in 2012. But Miyamoto says he's simply not been interested in photo-realistic graphics as a game designer.
Miyamoto says he is working on several upcoming games including "Pikmin 3" for the Wii U, "Luigi's Mansion 2" for the 3DS and an undisclosed original title.