Loading...

FATHER OF SHOT TEENAGER SLAMS SYDNEY POLICE

12,323 views

Loading...

Loading...

Transcript

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Apr 22, 2012

AUTHORITIES have called for calm following the shooting of two teenagers in Sydney's Kings Cross, after police opened fire on a stolen car that had mounted the gutter and hit a pedestrian early on Saturday morning.
Yesterday graphic video footage of the incident emerged. It showed a policeman appearing to punch 17-year-old Aborigine Troy Taylor while he was pinned to the ground.
He is then dragged on to the pavement, bleeding heavily and handcuffed.
His father, Peter Taylor, yesterday told the Seven Network he was staggered by the treatment his son allegedly received from police, seconds after Troy sustained several gunshot wounds to his neck and shoulder, and four broken ribs.
"My son is no angel . . . but I just can't believe the brutality factor of what happened to him . . . there was no threat to police," Mr Taylor said.
"He's 17 years of age -- he's still a minor."
Mr Taylor also told Seven he understood the heart of the 14-year-old driver -- a friend of his son who received gunshot wounds to the chest and arm -- had stopped twice, once at the scene and once during surgery at St Vincent's Hospital, but he had been revived.
On Saturday, Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch defended the action by police and said an internal investigation would determine if police had taken appropriate action.
He also urged the public to allow authorities to "investigate exactly what happened and why it happened".
Police allege the boys were on a wild joyride through Sydney after stealing the silver Honda Civic from an address in Sydney's west about 10pm on Friday, six hours before they were stopped in Kings Cross.
After recognising the car, police tried to stop the driver. He careered on to a busy footpath to avoid being caught before the car allegedly struck two pedestrians, including a 29-year-old woman who was dragged under the front of the vehicle. She was taken to hospital and has since been released.
Mr Murdoch said onlookers "literally jumped for their lives" as police officers chased the car and fired at least two bullets at its occupants.
Four males in the back seat -- aged 13, 14, 16 and 24 -- were unhurt.
Video of the incident shows at least one of the teenagers being rushed away on a stretcher while two bullet holes are clearly visible on the front windscreen of the battered Honda.
The shot pair remained at St Vincent's in intensive care last night, having undergone surgery. Yesterday 24-year-old Mount Druitt man Matthew Dalton appeared in Parramatta Bail Court via an audio-visual link from Surry Hills police station, charged with being carried in conveyance.
Magistrate Michael Morahan refused bail. Mr Dalton is due to appear at Sydney's Central Local Court today.
Two youths aged 14 and 16, who were also alleged to have been passengers in the car, appeared at Parramatta Children's Court yesterday but were later freed.
Both were charged with being carried in conveyance but could not be named for legal reasons.
A 13-year-old boy was also accused of riding in the car and is due to appear at Sydney's Bidura Children's Court next month.
Police initially feared the incident could spark riots among the Aboriginal community, similar to the 2004 outbreak following the death of Aboriginal teenager T.J. Hickey. The 17-year-old was impaled on a fence as -- according to his family -- officers chased him on his bicycle. Scores of police were injured in a nine-hour standoff but an inquiry ultimately cleared police of blame - 22 April 2012.

Loading...

Advertisement
When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...