Kartoffel is a wild betta species called Mahachai betta. He has gotten very sensitive with vibrations on the desk. If I lay down something on the desk too hard, the vibration scares him. He’s not afraid of anything except the vibrations, and of course, my finger. The sweet potatoes are still doing fine. The leaf growth has slowed recently, and the root growth has slowed down, too. Maybe I cut too much of the roots. I’m not sure. I’m surprised they lasted this long.
Almond leaf water.:
1. Boil dechlorinated tap water.
2. Put some almond leaf that is cut to smaller pieces or crushed with your hand into a glass jar.
3. Pour the boiling water into the jar.
4. Stir a little.
5. Wait about an hour until it’s cool enough to use.
Almond leaf water is optional. You don't have to use it. The tannins can help prohibit bad bacteria and fungus growth.
3 day old water:
1. Tap water in a bucket
2. Add water conditioner and stir vigorously, kinda like making a lemonade.
3. Leave the water 2~3 days alone. You can cover it with something, too, if you want to avoid dust.
4. 1~2 hours before the water change, I add a heater in the bucket and match the temperature to the tank’s temperature. Kartoffel’s tank is 26°C or 79°F.
5. Optional almond leaf water: Boil dechlorinated water; I use the bucket water. Pour the boiling water in a glass container. Add crushed almond leaf in the container. Stir. Leave it alone for an hour or two. I add just a little bit of this almond water during the water change.
You don’t have to do water changes like this. However, this is the safest way I know for a betta.
How I made the auto top off: https://youtu.be/Im9lDTRTAOk?t=269
NO Disturb Substrate Water Change Thingamajig:
Episode 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkuFd...
Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7LEk...
Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUp2-...
SETUP video of this tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ZWM...
Light : Osram 14W CFL 6500K – duration 11 hours a day.
Temperature: 26°C (79°F)
Aquarium Siphon: https://amzn.to/2Hya9Ct
Desk lamp (I used the clamps to mount it) http://amzn.to/2svkS9s
GE CFL light bulb (14w 6500K) http://amzn.to/2tAPVQo
Philips CFL 13W T2 Daylight 6500K, 4-Pack http://amzn.to/2H67BrI
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold https://amzn.to/2ByRG3h
New Life Spectrum Betta Formula https://amzn.to/2R36fWA
Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Food https://amzn.to/2RZBYF8
Fluval Bug Bites Betta https://amzn.to/2S0sBoJ
Almond leaves https://amzn.to/2S3B8Hn
2~3mm gravel 20lb bag http://amzn.to/2gJ5tOl
2~3mm gravel 5lb bag http://amzn.to/2y3e3ih
15pcs diamond hole saw https://amzn.to/2DGGXqL
Magnetic thermometer https://amzn.to/2LRCrXd
Mini Algae scrubber https://amzn.to/2MHbOHJ
Aquarium lid clips (gotta know the thickness or your aquarium) https://amzn.to/2qW9S1T
seiryu stone https://amzn.to/2K5rVuX
Inline Switch (I use them for pumps and heaters during water changes) https://amzn.to/2L05ozT
This video was shot with:
LG V10 https://amzn.to/2JrwD4C
Clip 3 in 1 lense photo kit. I only use the macro lens http://amzn.to/2HPggiF
Edited with Vegas Pro 15 https://amzn.to/2Hwu5C5
Debussy - Arabesque no. 1 - played by Emma Leiuman (The Art of Piano Technique)