War Eagle Mine, Trip Two - 1 of 3





Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Aug 3, 2010

Pt 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAr8l...

SDME once again explore the massive and glorious War Eagle in Tecopa, CA. Entering from the older and charred western portal (from an ore bin fire), we find the original decline shaft that descends at least 500'. We also find many empty "Trojan" brand ammonium nitrate dynamite boxes.

San Diego Mine Enthusiasts - Documenting and preserving our nations mining history for the education of all.
"Embraced, not erased!"

Don't try this at home!!

The claim for the War Eagle Mine (and other nearby mines) was staked in 1877 by William "Professor" & Robert Brown who soon became BCG&SMC (Balance Consolidated Gold & Silver Mining Co.). It was part of the Tecopa Mines group and produced an abundance of Silver and Lead, as well as some Gold, and other profitable minerals such as Dolomite used in brick and glass making.

The newer eastern portal was tunneled-in from the East slope in 1950 to access a lode of high-grade lead ore. Geologist Chick Joy was said to have planned the joining so well, that the two tunnels were only off by an inch! Tracks from his Irish Setter, "Danny", may still be seen deep inside the mine. The newer western section of the mine saw 40lb steel rails set at 24" for ore removal. Later on, manchas (or battery powered trammers) operated on them replacing mules and muckers.

The mine had two main decline shafts (eastern and western), which slope at 45+ degree angles and descend in excess of 500 to 650' each, connected with miles of drift tunnels. In the workings can be found many large stope caverns from which the ore and country rock were removed. Also large ballrooms, or "glory holes" can be observed. Ore was transported to a Utah smelter via Morgan Bros. Trucking. After a hard day's work, miners would frequent The Snake Room, a local watering hole in Tecopa, to ingest terrific amounts of ale, and create plights that would live-on in local tales for generations. The mine was last worked in 1957 by the Anaconda Co. A large ore bin remains outside the western portal.

  • Category

  • License

    • Standard YouTube License


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...