Since the launch of the original model in 1990, some 11.5 million Clios have been sold in more than 115 countries. Today, a new chapter in Clio's history is about to be written with the unveiling of the fourth-generation version.
New Energy TCe 90 petrol engine
New Clio is the first Renault model to feature the new three-cylinder petrol turbocharged Energy TCe 90 engine. This is the first three-cylinder powerplant ever produced by Renault and, from launch, will provide a remarkable balance between driving pleasure and fuel economy:
- This three-cylinder, turbocharged 900cc unit comes with Stop&Start and delivers the performance of a normally-aspirated 1.4-litre powerplant,
- Peak power of 90hp at 5,000rpm,
- An ultralow-inertia turbo for satisfying response from low engine speeds: 135Nm at 2,500rpm (90 percent of peak torque available from 1,650rpm),
- An economy-optimised version with taller gear ratios and fuel consumption of 4.3 litres/100km, equivalent to CO2 emissions of 99g/km ,
- A 21 percent fuel consumption and CO2 emissions savingc compared to the TCe 100 it replaces.
New diesel Energy dCi 90
The latest addition to the Energy family is a new 90hp version of the 1.5 dCi, equipped with Stop&Start:
- A four-cylinder 1.5-litre engine with 220Nm of torque available from 1,750rpm, an increase of 20Nm over the current dCi 90,
- Peak power of 90hp at 4,000rpm,
- An economy-optimised version with taller gear ratios which also qualifies for the Renault eco2 signature with fuel consumption of just 3.2 litres/100km, equivalent to CO2 emissions 83g/kmc.
New TCe 120, paired with six-speed EDC automatic transmission
New Clio will be available with the new, dynamic TCe 120 engine mated to six-speed EDC transmission (Efficient Dual Clutch), a first for Renault in the B segment:
- A four-cylinder 1.2-litre engine with the performance of a normally-aspirated 1.6 engine,
- Direct fuel injection and turbocharging for peak power of 120hp and 190Nm of torque from 1,750rpm.
This engine is currently in the process of being homologated and will become available in the first half of 2013. It will be among the most powerful, yet most economical engines in its class.
Along with the availability of EDC dual clutch transmission for the dCi 90 engine in the first half of 2013, New Clio will mark a further step in expanding access to the driving pleasure and seamless gearshifts delivered by this responsive and frugal automatic transmission.