Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jun 26, 2012
We visited the Feast of St Nikolas that was celebrated in Siggiewi, Malta, on June 24th, 2012 and took some video footage.
This video shows some of the activities held for the Feast of St Nicholas such as video clips on Feast Day -- part of the "Exit of Procession", streets decorations, firewoks display on the eve of the feast (courtesy of Nicholas Camilleri, Siggiewi), etc. Village Feast: the fireworks display on the eve (footage - courtesy of Nicholas Camilleri, Siggiewi), Every village in Malta celebrates the local church's patron saint with a major festa lasting a week or nine days. The main Saint Nicholas festa in Siggiewi is held on the last Sunday in June. The Parish Church of Saint-Nicholas of Bari is beautifully decorated and lit, inside and out. High Mass is held. http://siggiewiparish.com/parrocca/?q... The whole village, houses and all, are festooned with garlands, banners and flags and fireworks display are carried out during the celebration. For information, please visit the website of San Nikola Fireworks Clubs - http://www.narsannikola.com/
The Band Club & Social Club: 1.) St. Nicholas Band Clubwas formed in 1883. http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages... 2.) Siggiewi Festival Brass Band & Social Club was formed in 1986. http://www.siggiewibrassband.com/site... Background music: 1.) Pascalino by Archibald Mizzi 2.) Hymn to St Nicholas by Mgr Lawrence Mifsud & lyrics by Fr Nikola Aquilina 3.) The King by Archibald Mizzi Video/editing by Choy Hong (Jasmine) Grech Produced by Alfred & Choy Hong (Jasmine) Grech, Mosta, Malta Youtube Channel jasalf5959 ------------------------------------ Brief info about St Nicholas: St Nicholas was born during the third century in the village of Patara. He dedicated his life to help the needy, the sick and the suffering. During the reign of Emperor Diocletianus he was exiled and imprisoned. He died December 6, AD 343 in Myra and was buried in his cathedral church. Nicholas' tomb in Myra became a popular place of pilgrimage. Because of the many wars and attacks in the region, some Christians were concerned that access to the tomb might become difficult. For both the religious and commercial advantages of a major pilgrimage site, the Italian cities of Venice and Bari vied to get the Nicholas relics. In the spring of 1087, sailors from Bari succeeded in spiriting away the bones, bringing them to Bari, a seaport on the southeast coast of Italy. An impressive church was built over St. Nicholas' crypt and many faithful journeyed to honor the saint who had rescued children, prisoners, sailors, famine victims, and many others through his compassion, generosity, and the countless miracles attributed to his intercession. The Nicholas shrine in Bari was one of medieval Europe's great pilgrimage centers and Nicholas became known as "Saint in Bari." To this day pilgrims and tourists visit Bari's great Basilica di San Nicola. Brief info about Siggiewi: Siggiewi (or Città Ferdinand) is a village and a local council in the southwestern part of Malta. Siggiewi was already established in the 14th century. On December 30, 1797, after a formal request by Don Salvatore Curso, on behalf of his parishioners, Grand Master Ferdinand Von Hompesch instituted the village as a city calling it after his name, "Città Ferdinand". The ruins of the former parish church, dedicated to St Nicholas of Bari are still visible today. Lately, great restoration works have been carried out and retrieved its old glory. The baroque parish church, dedicated to the same saint, was erected by the villagers who raised the necessary funds between the years 1676 to 1693. It was designed by the Maltese architect, Lorenzo Gafà but underwent some changes throughout the years. The portico and naves were added by Professor Nicola Zammit in the latter half of the 19th century. The titular painting in the church is by the artist Mattia Preti, 'Il calabrese', who was also responsible for the painting on the vault of St John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta. The wooden statue which is carried in procession in the city feast day (the last Sunday of June) was sculptured by Pietro Felici in 1736. Four years earlier, in 1732, the same sculptor had produced the stone statue which still stands in the centre of the square. On its pedestal there is a prayer in Latin which implores the saint to bless the fields which the faithful laboriously till.