Loading...

NASA | Temperature Data: 1880-2011

419,972 views

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Jan 20, 2012

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/feat...

The global average surface temperature in 2011 was the ninth warmest since 1880.The finding sustains a trend that has seen the 21st century experience nine of the 10 warmest years in the modern meteorological record. NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York released an analysis of how temperatures around the globe in 2011 compared to the average global temperature from the mid-20th century. The comparison shows how Earth continues to experience higher temperatures than several decades ago. The average temperature around the globe in 2011 was 0.92 degrees F (0.51 C) higher than the mid-20th century baseline.

This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?3901

Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/iTunes/f...

Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/NASA.GSFC‬

Or find us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/NASAGoddard‬

Comments • 363

Bertie Blue
The data records urban areas only it's an absolute joke.
Keine Kleidung
70% of the temperature record comes from the oceans, so only 30% even has a chance of being urban. For the US in 2010 (because I don't have later figures), 392 stations were in areas with a population of more than 10000, 614 were in areas with a population of less than 10000 and 432 were rural. Hardly urban "only" as you claim. Assuming that urban density is the same elsewhere (it will be higher in Europe, much lower in Africa), we are down to at most 21% of the data coming from urban areas. And data is ADJUSTED for the urban heat island effect. Again in the US, about 58% of urban stations show an increase in temperature over time relative to surrounding rural stations, while the other 42% have increased by LESS than the surrounding rural stations. Only 8% away from pure randomness.
Mantis Toboggan
For those of you who don't understand what the animation is showing, the orange indicates an increase in average temperature over a period of time and the blue a decrease. The North Pole is still cold, but it's getting warmer. The temperature will continue to rise as the atmosphere continues to increase in mass.
SI TR
yeah. pretty impressive until you realize its raised by like half a fucking degree and the difference between blue and red is the difference between a spec of sand and a knats ass.
burns83
Is the gas from the green house effect invisible? I think its that earth doesnt get cold enough at night
TheArrivalGamer
it will go hotter in future if you wont preventing
Andres Felipe Garzon
Le faltan unas convenciones, para saber en que punto vamos y de cual partimos ;) ... sin embargo excelente trabajo.
sam
ty
Robert Lugton
Really fascicle temperatures John based on predicted models of the climate.  Well how do you explain Prof Richard Muller PHD physicist that was a climate change denier and was hired by private benefactors including anti climate change lobby groups to review the temperature data.  You know what he found?  The globe is warming and the facts support it!  Wow revelatory no hang on it isn't that is what the science has been telling us. For those interested you can read his story here http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/opinion/the-conversion-of-a-climate-change-skeptic.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 On your point about the CIMP5 models failing to predict the rate of warming, you know what the observed data showed warming above long term trends! WHOA hang on we are warming I thought it was a farce.  You don't have any hard real evidence to disprove that the climate is warming you are just focused on attacking single points of the data and failing to acknowledge the bigger picture THE EARTH IS WARMING DUE TO INCREASE GREENHOUSE GAS EMISIONS BY HUMANS.  Present the hard evidence to show me someone whom has disproved the earth is not warming and we can have an intelligent discussion of the whole topic.
Kalepherion
Little ice age from about 1350 to about 1850, so if temps had not gone up during that time following the Little Ice Age, we would be in a full blown Ice Age, and Billions would have died due to lower food production, and lower temps, and a huge amount of drinkable water being frozen in glaciers. 
ihasmario
What was the overall temperature rise? 1 degree?
When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...