09/23/07 Saint John Sea Dogs vs Lewistion MAINEiacs





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.



Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Sep 23, 2007

Sea Dogs Defeat MAINEiacs Via score of 6-1 at Harbour Station Sept 23rd 2007


The Saint John Sea Dogs put forth a dominating performance on their home ice Sunday afternoon, routing the defending QMJHL champion Lewiton MAINEiacs by a score of 6-1.

Chris DiDomenico continued his strong play on Sunday, registering 1G-1A-2P on the afternoon while Alexandre Leduc contributed a pair of goals in the one-sided affair. Simon Despres, Saint John's top pick from this summer's QMJHL Entry Draft, also got in on the action, tallying his first carer goal late in the second period.

"It was great to get my first goal in a win at Harbour Station," said Despres. "This was a good victory for our team and hopefully we can build on this momentum moving forward."

Starting Sea Dogs goaltender Travis Fullerton played extremely well throughout Sunday's contest, stopping 25 of the 26 shots sent his way to earn his first victory of the season in front of 3,014 fans at Harbour Station.

Fullerton was tested early on Sunday, with Marc-Andre Daneau getting off a pair of shots seventy-five seconds into the game that reeked of dangerousness. The 20-year old net minder turned aside each attempt with ease however, assuredly buoying his team's confidence with his early display of poise.

Saint John's offence then produced several scoring chances in the seventh minute of play, with the line of Keven Charland, Michael Kirkpatrick, and Mike Thomas wreaking havoc deep in Lewiston's zone, but MAINEiacs goalie Peter Delmas was able to stand his ground in the early going, denying Saint John's shooter on their first five shots on net.

The Sea Dogs were finally able to beat Delmas on their sixth shot of the afternoon, as Alexandre Leduc took a pass from Francois Gauthier in the slot and wired a hard wrist shot past to the back of the net to give the home team a 1-0 lead with 11:43 remaining in the opening period. Alexandre Picard-Hooper also picked up an assist on the scoring play, giving the newly acquired veteran his first point in a Sea Dogs uniform.

Saint John nearly went up 2-0 11:32 into the first, as Yann Sauve unleashed a rocket of a shot from the point that had 'top corner' labelled all over it; Delmas managed to get a glove on the puck however, as his seventh save of the game kept his team within immediate striking distance of the Sea Dogs.

Neither team was able to produce a goal in the second half of the opening period, as the first intermission got underway with Saint John leading the MAINEiacs by a score of 1-0.

Lewiston tied the match 2:31 into the second period however, as Billy Lacasse scored his first of the year to provide the visiting squad from the Pine Tree State with the equalizer.

Saint John then re-took the lead with 8:42 remaining in the middle frame, as Chris DiDomenico notched his fourth tally of the season with David Stich and Payton Liske drawing assists. Saint John went up by two 2:05 later, as DiDomenico fed Matthew Stoddard the puck on a two-on-one break; Stoddard made no mistake on his prime scoring chance, faking a shot prior to beating Delmas with a backhand to earn his first goal of the year.

The Sea Dogs onslaught continued with 2:44 remaining in the second, as Alexandre Leduc registered his second goal of the night to put the home team up by a field goal. Ninety seconds later, Simon Despres scored his first aforementioned first career QMJHL goal, beating Delmas with a rocket of a shot from the point and giving Saint John a 5-1 lead, a score which remained in tact as the second period came to an end.

Kirk Rafuse took over goaltending duties for Lewiston in the third period; the 17-year old faired much better than his between-the-pipes-predecessor, managing to hold Saint John off the scoreboard for almost seventeen minutes. With 3:01 remaining in the third, however, Keven Charland scored a highlight-reel goal, undressing a Lewiston defenseman prior to beating Rafuse with an impressive series of dekes. Charland's goal proved to be the final goal of the game, as Saint John cruised to victory in the last minutes of play.

Sunday's victory gives Saint John a record of 2-2 on the season while Lewistion falls to 1-4.

The Sea Dogs next hit the ice this coming Thursday, September 27, when the PEI Rocket travel to Saint John for a 7:00pm game at Harbour Station. The Sea Dogs defeated the Rocket by a score of 6-3 on Sunday, September 16 at the Charlottetown Civic Centre.

  • Category

  • License

    • Standard YouTube License


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...