Loading...

Afsluitdijk Pays Bas The Netherlands

5,392 views

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Oct 14, 2009

Photo's..http://www.hankyswebsite.nl/Hankys_pr...
The Afsluitdijk (English: Closure Dike, Frisian: Ofslútdyk) is a major causeway in the Netherlands, constructed between 1927 and 1933 and running from Den Oever on Wieringen in North Holland province, to the village of Zurich (mun. Wûnseradiel) in Friesland province, over a length of 32 km (20 miles) and a width of 90 m, at an initial height of 7.25 m above sea-level.
Der Abschlussdeich (niederländisch Afsluitdijk, friesisch Ofslútdyk) ist ein Sperrdamm (genaugenommen kein Deich, der Wasser von Land trennt) am Eingang der einstigen Zuiderzee zwischen Den Oever (Provinz Nordholland) und Zurich bei Harlingen (Provinz Friesland).

Er ist 32 km lang und 90 Meter breit und wurde am 28. Mai 1932 fertiggestellt. Genau um 13:02 Uhr des genannten Tages wurde der Deich geschlossen und trennt seitdem das seit September 1932 offiziell IJsselmeer genannte Binnengewässer, die ehemalige Meeresbucht Zuiderzee, vom Wattenmeer und ist eines der Hauptelemente der Zuiderzeewerke. Über den Deich führt die niederländische Autobahn Rijksweg 7 mit einer Halte-, Tank- und Wendemöglichkeit bei Breezanddijk.

Im Deich befinden sich die Schleusen von Den Oever und Kornwerderzand, bei der es 1940 einen militärischen Stützpunkt gab. Dieser war so stark, dass die zahlenmäßig stark unterlegene niederländische Armee die aufrückenden deutschen Truppen stoppen konnte, bis am 14. Mai 1940 die Kapitulation erfolgte. An jener Stelle befindet sich heute ein Kriegsdenkmal.


It is a fundamental part of the larger Zuiderzee Works, damming off the Zuiderzee, a salt water inlet of the North Sea and turning it into the fresh water lake of the IJsselmeer.

Previous experiences had demonstrated that till (boulder clay), rather than just sand or clay, was the best primary material for a structure like the Afsluitdijk, with the added benefit that till was in plentiful supply in the area; it could be retrieved in large quantities by simply dredging it from the bottom of the Zuiderzee. Work started at four points: on both sides of the mainland and on two specially made construction-islands (Kornwerderzand and Breezand) along the line of the future dike.

From these points, the dike slowly grew by ships depositing till into the open sea in two parallel lines. Sand was then poured in between the two dikes and as it emerged above the surface was then covered by another layer of till. The nascent dike was then strengthened from land by basalt rocks and mats of willow switch at its base. The dike could then be finished off by raising it further with sand and finally clay for the surface of the dike, on which grass was planted.

Construction progressed better than expected; at three points along the line of the dike there were deeper underwater trenches where the tidal current was much stronger than elsewhere. These had been considered to be major obstacles to completing the dike, but all of them proved to be relatively straightforward. On May 28, 1932, two years earlier than initially thought, the Zuiderzee ceased to be, as the last tidal trench of the Vlieter was closed by a final bucket of till. The IJsselmeer was born, even though it was still salty at the time.

The dike itself however was not finished yet as it still needed to be brought up to its required height and a road linking Friesland and North Holland (the current A7/E22 motorway) also remained to be built. It would not be until September 25, 1933, that the Afsluitdijk was officially opened, with a monument designed by architect Dudok marking the spot where the dike had been closed. The amount of material used is estimated at 23 million m³ of sand and 13.5 million m³ of till and over the years an average of around four to five thousand workers were involved with the construction every day, relieving some of the unemployment following the Great Depression.
Beside the dike itself there was also the necessary construction of two complexes of shipping locks and discharge sluices at both ends of the dike. The complex at Den Oever includes the Stevin lock (named after Hendric Stevin, a son of mathematician and engineer Simon Stevin) and three series of five sluices for discharging the IJsselmeer into the Wadden Sea; the other complex at Kornwerderzand is composed of the Lorentz locks (named after Hendrik Lorentz, the famous physicist, who personally did the calculations of the tides that were crucial to the construction of the Afsluitdijk) and two series of five sluices, making a total of 25 discharge sluices. Periodically discharging the lake is necessary since it is continually fed by rivers and streams (most notably the IJssel river that gives its name to the lake) and polders draining their water into the IJsselmeer.

Loading...

Advertisement
When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up Next


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...