How to make kimchi when you have limited time and ingredients.
Cabbage, salt, hot pepper flakes, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, green onions, and carrot.
1. Cut 2 pounds of cabbage into thin strips about 2-3 inches in length and ¼ inch wide. Place into a large bowl.
2. Add 1 cup cold water and ¼ cup kosher salt. Mix it well with your hands to properly salt the cabbage.
3. Set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Make kimchi paste by mixing these ingredients in a bowl:
1/3 cup hot pepper flakes,
1 tbs sugar,
¼ cup fish sauce,
¼ cup minced garlic,
3-4 stalks of chopped green onion (1/3 cup worth),
¼ cup's worth of julienned carrot
5. Wash and rinse the salted cabbage in cold water a couple of times. Drain the water.
6. Mix the kimchi paste into the cabbage thoroughly.
7. Put the kimchi into a container, jar, or plastic bag.
8. Press the top of the kimchi down with your hands to protect your kimchi from being exposed to too much air.
9. You can eat it right away, just like salad. Or keep it at room temperature and it will ferment in a few days. Fermented kimchi can be used for kimchi stir-fried rice orkimchi stew, and it will be delicious.