Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Feb 17, 2011
This short clip from History Channel's 'Extreme Trains' series shows the Juniata Locomotive Shop in Altoona, PA, where the Pennsylvania Railroad (1846-1968) built many of its steam and electric locomotives until the 1940's. After dieselization the shops continued as a heavy overhaul and repair facility for subsequently the Pennsylvania Railroad and its successors Penn Central (1968-1970), Conrail (1970-1999) and Norfolk Southern (1999-). In the late 90's it assembled a series of new heavy freight duty SD70 locomotives from the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors and a number of freight locomotive derived passenger locomotives.