Loading...

Pounds of mercury that didn't enter the Bay

1,028 views

Loading...

Loading...

Transcript

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading...

Loading...

Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on Mar 5, 2010

Mercury is toxic, and because of the large amount of leftover mercury from Gold Rush-era mining, its critically important to reduce new sources of mercury into the Bay. Birds, fish, and people who eat Bay fish are at high risk of mercury poisoning.

What can you do?

Properly dispose of mercury-containing items it is against the law to throw these items in the trash.
Exchange your mercury thermometer for a non-toxic one, and take thermometers and fluorescent light bulbs (both long tubes and compacts) to your local household hazardous waste facility for disposal.




Did you know?
Mercury from one thermometer can contaminate 5,000,000 gallons of Bay water or six Olympic-size swimming pools. And high mercury levels may be keeping Bay fish and wildlife from reproducing.

Loading...

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...