In this video we will discuss all that you need to know to become a successful asp.net web application developer
Essential skills : The following are the essential skills that you need to learn in the order specified to become a web developer
1. Dot Net Basics : Learn what is Dot Net all about and how it works. All dot net developers, irrespective of whether you are a web or windows developer, need to know about these concepts.
2. One Programming language (C# or VB.NET) : You must learn at least on of the programming language (C# or VB.NET) to build dynamic data driven web applications. These videos start from the basics and covers all the advanced aspects of c# programming language that an asp.net web developer needs to know.
3. SQL Server : SQL Server is a database that stores the web application data. You need to learn the SQL programming language to store and retrieve data from the database server, which helps us build data driven web application.
4. ASP.NET : This is the framework that .NET provides to build web applications.
5. ADO.NET : Enables an asp.net web application to communicate with the database to store and retrieve data.
6. ASP.NET GridView - This is one of the widely used data control in an asp.net web application that enables to display, insert, update and delete data.
7. Visual Studio - This is the development tool/software that we use to build Dot Net applications.
In addition to the above 7 essential skills, you also need to know the basics of HTML. HTML is very easy to self learn and there are many free resources on the web already.
Nice to have skills : These days a lot of organisations are also looking for the following skills in addtion to the above essential skills. If you want to increase the chances of getting your resume shortlisted for an interview call, then you also need to be familiar (if not proficient) with the following technologies.
1. ASP.NET Web Services : ASP.NET Web Services became a legacy technology with the introduction of WCF. However, there are many organisations that are still using ASP.NET web services, so if you want to increase your chances of an interview call you may want to learn this technology as well. Also, learning asp.net web services, makes it easy to learn WCF.
2. WCF : Helps buils service oriented applications. If you are familiar with this and if you can answer the interview questions you almost have the job.
3. ASP.NET MVC - Gives you a powerful, patterns-based way to build dynamic websites that enables a clean separation of concerns and that gives you full control.
3. Entity Framework : This is an ORM framework that enables .NET developers to work with relational data using domain-specific objects. Another nice to have skill.
4. LINQ - Language-Integrated Query (LINQ) is a set of features introduced in Visual Studio 2008 that extends powerful query capabilities to the language syntax of C# and Visual Basic. The different aspects of LINQ are covered in the following tutorials.
LINQ to XML
LINQ to SQL
In addition to the above 4 nice to have skills, you also need to know jQuery. I don't have a video series on this yet, but there are several resources on the web already.
To help you with your interview preparation, I have also started several video series as listed below.
C# Interview Questions & Answers
Dot Net Written Test Questions & Answers
SQL Server Interview Questions & Answers
Slides, code samples and text version of the videos are available on my blog.
All these resources are available at no cost. In total there are over 700 videos (150 Hours). This means if you spend 5 hours a day watching these videos in 30 days you have most of the skills required to become a successful asp.net web developer.
If you need a video on a concept that you are struggling with or if you have attended an interview and if you need a question to be answered, please leave it as a comment and I shall record and upload video answering it as soon as I can.
If you need a DVD with all the videos and slides or if you need to download the videos for offline viewing, please visit the following link.
Finally if you feel these videos could help others like you please share on Facebook, Google+ and any other social media you use.