Reckless driver arrested by Surrey Police





Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on Aug 1, 2011

Stolen car collides with a police car, sending an officer flying. He gets up and still makes the arrest. The officer sustained minor injuries but is back at work.

On 29 July a 29-year-old man from Hayes was sentenced to 23 months in prison following an incident where the stolen car he was driving collided with a police vehicle on a slip road off the M25 near Chertsey.

The incident took place at around 5.20pm on Sunday, 3 July after officers had earlier been alerted that a BMW stolen in Hayes in June had been seen heading southbound on the M25 before turning off at junction 11. The video could not be released until the man had been sentenced.

Two Roads Policing Unit officers were in the process of setting up a road block at the top of the slip road going into St Peter's Way when the stolen car collided with the back of their stationary police vehicle.

The force of the stolen car colliding with the police vehicle caused the police vehicle to strike PC Dan Pascoe, who was standing next to the police vehicle.

Immediately following the collision the driver got out of the seriously damaged BMW and ran off but PC Pascoe got back to his feet, having been thrown through the air during the collision, and gave chase.

PC Pascoe was able to deploy his taser on the driver before collapsing and other officers at the scene then arrested him on suspicion of vehicle theft and other driving offences.

The 29 year old man was later charged with dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene of an accident, driving while disqualified, driving without insurance and resisting arrest.

He pleaded guilty to all charges during an initial hearing at North Surrey Magistrates Court on Tuesday, 5 July and was sentenced at Guildford Crown Court on Friday, 29 July.

Inspector Chris Colley, Head of Surrey Police's Roads Policing Unit said: "I would like to praise the officers involved in this incident for the bravery and professionalism they demonstrated to react so quickly and make an arrest in such exceptional circumstances.

"The officers, particularly PC Pascoe, had to react extremely quickly and despite the shock and possible injuries they may have sustained during the collision they were determined not to let the suspect get away.

"Thankfully PC Pascoe only sustained minor injuries as a result of the collision but it's clear that the extremely dangerous manner in which the stolen vehicle was being driven could easily have resulted in a tragic outcome.

"The police vehicle was rammed at high speed and it is only good fortune that prevented an officer or a member of the public from being seriously injured or killed.

"His actions were appallingly irresponsible and I welcome the lengthy court sentencing which sends out a clear message that Surrey Police will keep tackling vehicle crime and those found to be committing offences in the county will be dealt with robustly and put before the courts."

He added: "I'm very proud of the actions of the officers involved in this incident and I'm sure the public will be heartened by the courage and desire they showed to go above and beyond to keep the people of Surrey safe."


to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...