Limited Edition Gunmetal Nike Dunks does not exist and was only made as a prop for the movie Step Up 3D. I custom painted a Nike SB Dunk to create a replica of the shoe.
I got a lot of requests on how to make these so I made a detailed guide on how to make one.
What you need:
A pair of Nike Dunks. Doesn't need to be an sb dunk.(it would be easier if you can can get one with suede leather rather than full grain leather ones. It's easier to paint. You'll also need the sole to be white and black on the bottom.)
Black, Chrome Silver, Primer Gray.
Flat white & Green Acrylic Enamel or any type of permanent paint.
Paint Brush preferrably small chinese calligraphy brush.
Masking Tapes/ Double-sided tapes,
1. You'll need to mask off the sole completely so you won't have unwanted paint on your sole. I used Electrical tapes for this one because it's flexible enough to follow the lines of the sole.
2. Remove the tag stitching on the tongue. You won't really need this. You can even replace it if you want.
3. You are now ready to paint. Spray on at least 3 layers of primer. Allow 15 minutes of drying time for each layer. You'll know that it's dried if it doesn't shine anymore.
4. Same procedure but use black spray paint. Don't forget to paint the part behind the straps. Let it dry.
5. Mask off all the black parts and the swoosh. I used double-sided tape for this because it's the only tape I could find that sticks to suede and it conforms to the curves easily. This step took me at least four hours for each shoe and it is very frustrating at times but it can be very rewarding if done right.
6. Spray on the Chrome Silver paint. Let it dry for at least an hour before touching it.
7. You can now remove all the tapes and admire your work. You can now hand paint the swoosh using your house paints. Apply flat white primer before the green paint. Let it dry.
You are now done with your shoes. If you have been patient with it should look very nice. I would appreciate it if you can send me pictures or a post a video of your work.
Note: Spray paint cracks if painted on full-grain leather. If you can't find a fully suede leather shoe you can buy black full-grain leather shoes or use BLACK LEATHER PAINT as a primer before you paint on it. It should give a very nice effect when it the paint cracks.