Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Published on May 1, 2012
In 1781 Robert Burns worked in Irvine. In 1826, two close friends of Robert Burns, with ten others, founded Irvine Burns Club, now over 175 years old. In 1962, we opened the Irvine Burns Museum.
The home of Irvine Burns Club is 'Wellwood', 28 Eglinton Street, Irvine. This spacious and imposing building of Ballochmyle red sandstone was built in 1903. It was bequeathed to the Club in 1962 by two bachelor brothers Mr Robert and Mr J Graham Paterson, in memory of their father John Paterson, Provost and Councillor in Irvine, 1854 - 1877. The club renovated the top floor front room into a concert room with a seating capacity of 100. Ground floor rooms include the library and the 'Burns Room'.
Also displayed in the building are many artefacts relating to the Royal Burgh of Irvine (1372 - 1975), including the Burgh Weights and Measures and one of the Burgh Drums.