From '' Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before... ''
Label: Rough Trade America -- 06076-83230-2
Format: CD, Compilation
01. Eastern Lane - Fa Ce La (Producer, Engineer - Iain Harvie)
02. Adam Green - Eating Noddemix (Recorded By - Dan Myers)
03. Mystic Chords Of Memory - We Could Send Letters (Recorded By - Mystic Chords Of Memory)
04. Oneida - Jazz Is The Teacher, Funk Is The Preacher (Recorded By - Barry London, Oneida)
05. Elizabeth Fraser - At Last I Am Free (Engineer [Mix] - Lee Shephard, Recorded By, Producer - Damon Reece)
06. The Hidden Cameras - Dunes (Engineer - Jeff McMurrich, Producer - Joel Gibb)
07. The Tyde - Tell Me (Engineer - Anton Newcombe , Robert Campanella, Producer - Darren Rademaker)
08. Royal City - It This It (Engineer - Edwyn Collins , Sebastian Lewsley, Producer - Royal City)
09. Alasdair Roberts - I Had A Little Boat (Recorded By - Matt Harvey)
10. Delays - Ride It On (Producer - Delays, Producer, Engineer, Mixed By - Graham Sutton)
11. The Veils - Lions After Slumber (Engineer, Mixed By - Matthew Ollivier)
12. Jeffrey Lewis - Part-Time Punks (Engineer - Edd))
13. British Sea Power - Tugboat (Producer - British Sea Power)
14. The Detroit Cobras - Last Nite (Recorded By - John Smerek)
15. The Fiery Furnaces - Winter (Recorded By - Nicolas Vernhes)
16. Belle & Sebastian - Final Day (Engineer, Programmed By - Mick Cooke, Producer - Belle & Sebastian)
"Last Nite" is a song by the garage rock band The Strokes, and their second single from Is This It.
A segment of the song was used by "Weird Al" Yankovic for his polka medley, "Angry White Boy Polka".
The guitar riff that begins the song is similar to the intro of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' "American Girl".
In a 2006 interview with Rolling Stone, Tom Petty said "The Strokes took 'American Girl' [for their song 'Last Nite'], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, 'OK, good for you.' It doesn't bother me."
When performed live, Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas will occasionally sing lines from "American Girl" in between his original lyrics. "Last Nite" was used in TV promos for the 2010 film Get Him to the Greek.
In March 2005, Q placed "Last Nite" at number 66 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. In September 2006, NME placed "Last Nite" at number one on its list of the 50 Greatest Tracks of the Decade.
In May 2007, NME magazine placed "Last Nite" at number nine in its list of the 50 Greatest Indie Anthems Ever.
It was also placed at number 16 on Rolling Stone's 50 Best Songs of the Decade and number 478 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".
Vitamin C cover
Last Nite" was covered in 2003 by Vitamin C.
The song was produced by Dave Derby, Michael Kotch, and Fred Maher.
The single features a sample from Blondie's "Heart of Glass".
After Elektra Records dropped Vitamin C when her second album, More, did not sell as expected, she signed to V2 Records in the UK, hoping to break into the music scene there. After her third album was recorded, this single was released exclusively in the UK with plans to release the album a month later. The album was never released.
The single for "Last Nite" by Vitamin C did not do well in its first week by debuting and peaking at a disappointing #70 and falling down the chart rapidly.
V2 shelved Vitamin C's album afterwards and dropped her.
However, "Last Nite" is Vitamin C's only chart entry in the UK Singles Top 75, making it her most successful single there.