Electrical Panel: When to Upgrade your Electric Service with Randy, R Squared Renovations





The interactive transcript could not be loaded.



Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded on May 18, 2010

Randy, a Master Electrician in Dallas,TX and Owner of http://www.RSquaredRenovations.com, shares his professional insight on when you should consider upgrading your electrical panel or electrical service. If you are in the Dallas area and are looking for an Electrical Contractor, give him a call at 972-998-8544. Heres to keeping you and your family safe!

Transcription: Hello, my name is Randy with R Squared Renovations I'm a general and electrical contractor in Dallas, Texas. Today I just wanted to give you a few ideas and reasons why you should consider upgrading your electrical service.

If you're doing any kind of remodels, especially kitchen, new appliances may require more electricity then you had before. Or the addition of new outlets, in the kitchen or the bathroom. Basically everything new requires more electricity then it did you know when your house was wired in the 50's or 60's or even the 70's.

If you have an old breaker panel and your circuit breaker looks like this with the orange handle on there. These are prone to not tripping when they're supposed to. It's a 15 amp breaker and it's supposed to kick off when the circuit draws more then 15 amps. This particular brand is known to never trip. You could be drawing a 100 which is prone to fires.

The other thing is with older panels they look like this. They are not very large and don't hold very many breakers. When houses were wired in the 40s 50s and 60's there just wasn't as big of a requirement for as many circuits as we have these days.

Here, we have about a 3000 square foot house, there are about 60 circuits whereas compared to the older panel that may have had 20, even in a 2000 square foot house that's still not enough to be standard.

One of the things that is new is called an arc fault circuit breaker. These are now required in the 2008 national electric code which prevents any arcing or sparking on any of the circuits where its something that is plugged into the outlet or faulty wiring, this will trip out. A loss of power will help to prevent a fire, and that's what this is for.

In your average 2000 square foot house, going from an old 60 or a 100 amp service panel to 200 amp should run you somewhere around three thousand to four thousand dollars depending on the work that has to be done to bring the rest of the house up to code.

New equipment and the addition of new appliances, stoves, refrigerators, swimming pool equipment, anything like that, you really need to take a good look at your electric server.

If you have any other questions I'm always available through http://www.uniquelightfixtures.com or http://www.uniquevanities.com.

  • Category

  • License

    • Standard YouTube License


When autoplay is enabled, a suggested video will automatically play next.

Up Next

to add this to Watch Later

Add to

Loading playlists...